Dawn Doughnuts

codergrrl's picture

Does anyone remember this place?
I don't think it was in Fishtown proper, but we used to take a short car ride there. They had long cream doughnuts, but the best part was that you drove in, and a giant round metal plate on the ground turned your car a 180 degrees, to the window to get them. The doughnuts were good, but we liked the car spinning around more!
I wish I knew were it was, maybe I can tap an older relative, and find out.

Pure_Fishtown's picture

It was on Germantown Avenue

It was on Germantown Avenue near Diamond.

codergrrl's picture

You too? You must be a

You too?
You must be a oldtimer!
Glad I'm not alone.

Lisa33's picture

That sounds awesome!

That sounds awesome!

codergrrl's picture

Awesome it was! For the

Awesome it was!
For the price of a dozen doughnuts, we loaded up the car with all the kids that would fit, just to spin around! Closest thing to an amusement park around here.
Afterthought on amusement parks,,,we went to Hershey one year, and my parents never mentioned there was an amusement park there, we only toured the factory, (free at the time), got free samples, and saw the street lights which were Hershey kisses...my parents were pretty savvy at finding cheap entertainment.

tudor's picture

Sounds like Dawn would have

Sounds like Dawn would have made a great historic preservation project. I'm trying to think what's there now--hope it's not Cousin's or something. There is also an old movie marquee over that way somewhere that I found once when I made a wrong turn.

Pure_Fishtown's picture

Tudor, it was near the movie

Tudor, it was near the movie theater. Dawn was on the east side of Germantown. I can't see it in my mind but I would know exactly where it was if I drove over there.

The place has been closed up for over 40 years now. Dad died in 1971 and it was closed before he passed. When I was a lot younger and dumber in the middle 70's, I was over that way on foot (yeah, I know it wasn't too smart nor safe) and the turntable was still there.

PattiMey's picture

Dawn Donuts was the best.

Dawn Donuts was the best.

Pure_Fishtown's picture

Patti, what were your

Patti, what were your favorites? Mine were the creme.

PattiMey's picture

Pure_Fishtown wrote:Patti,

Pure_Fishtown wrote:

Patti, what were your favorites? Mine were the creme.

Creme , creme and creme . Yummy ! I could care less about the other choices. I don't know what was better , the smell of the donuts when you pulled onto that auto track or the taste.

dan's picture

Sounds too cool. Wish I had

Sounds too cool.
Wish I had taken a spin.

codergrrl's picture

The recent fire on the 2500

The recent fire on the 2500 block of G-town Avenue was right next door to the old Dawn Donuts. My dad informed me that the location was the "Old Good-n-Plenty factory, next door to Dawn donuts."

tudor's picture

codergrrl wrote:The recent

codergrrl wrote:

The recent fire on the 2500 block of G-town Avenue was right next door to the old Dawn Donuts. My dad informed me that the location was the "Old Good-n-Plenty factory, next door to Dawn donuts."

So that's which factory building it was. I couldn't figure it out from the Inquirer picture--it looked like a lot of them over there.

Ftown66's picture

PattiMey wrote:Pure_Fishtown

PattiMey wrote:
Pure_Fishtown wrote:

Patti, what were your favorites? Mine were the creme.

Creme , creme and creme . Yummy ! I could care less about the other choices. I don't know what was better , the smell of the donuts when you pulled onto that auto track or the taste.

I was a big jelly fan as a kid but now I prefer cream. My taste has matured i guess and it's Not as messy as a jelly.

Pure_Fishtown's picture

Okay CREME LOVERS! Remember

Okay CREME LOVERS!

Remember when there were types types of cream used? The custard type was used in the winter and the other fluffy one was used in the warmer months.

Ftown66's picture

Pure_Fishtown wrote:Okay

Pure_Fishtown wrote:

Okay CREME LOVERS!

Remember when there were types types of cream used? The custard type was used in the winter and the other fluffy one was used in the warmer months.

Yes I do remember something like that. I think the custard couldn't hold up to the summer heat. It would liquefy in the summer. Most supermarket creams are not real. They are some artificial stuff that can stay firm even if it was on the sun.

PattiMey's picture

Yes, Bavarian Cream !A

Yes, Bavarian Cream !A pudding consistency. My favorite . But Dawn Donuts had a very tasty sugar creme filling, also. Not like the " sugar shock " donuts sold today.

ebreezy's picture

does anyone remember the old

does anyone remember the old bitzer's bakery in fishtown back in the 60's, it was on norris st i believe, the best!!

Pure_Fishtown's picture

Are you talking about the

Are you talking about the one that was at Gaul and Susquehanna?

ebreezy wrote:

does anyone remember the old bitzer's bakery in fishtown back in the 60's, it was on norris st i believe, the best!!

ebreezy's picture

yes, i believe that is it ,

yes, i believe that is it , on gaul & susq.do you remember it ? it was really good.

PattiMey's picture

Pure_Fishtown wrote:Are you

Pure_Fishtown wrote:

Are you talking about the one that was at Gaul and Susquehanna?

ebreezy wrote:

does anyone remember the old bitzer's bakery in fishtown back in the 60's, it was on norris st i believe, the best!!

I was going to ask the same question. If it was the one at Gaul and Susquehanna I do remember it well. They had the best creme puffs in the universe. And if you were a regular they would allow you to fill you own. I can remember putting in a bakery order before 9 am Mass so you didn't have to wait so long after Mass was over.

codergrrl's picture

The bakery at Gaul and

The bakery at Gaul and Susque was called Ernst's.
At least during the time I remember it...
I would always spend the change from Helen and Bills (AKA Primo/Fran's) in the bakery.

TECH's picture

THERE IS A PHOTO OF THE DAWN

THERE IS A PHOTO OF THE DAWN DONUT DRIVE THROUGH WITH THE TURNTABLE AT THIS SITE. http://diamond.temple.edu:81/search?/XBAKERY&searchscope=10&SORT=D/XBAKERY&searchscope=10&SORT=D&Submit=Search&SUBKEY=BAKERY/1%2C14%2C14%2CB/frameset&FF=XBAKERY&searchscope=10&SORT=D&8%2C8%2C YOU CAN CLICK ON THE PICTURE TO GET A LARGER IMAGE.

TECH's picture

Not sure why the spacing

Not sure why the spacing occured that way, sorry about that.

Pure_Fishtown's picture

Thanks for the photo, Tech.

Thanks for the photo, Tech.

Fishtown_Dave's picture

TECH wrote:THERE IS A PHOTO

TECH wrote:

THERE IS A PHOTO OF THE DAWN DONUT DRIVE THROUGH WITH THE TURNTABLE AT THIS SITE. http://diamond.temple.edu:81/search?/XBAKERY&searchscope=10&SORT=D/XBAKERY&searchscope=10&SORT=D&Submit=Search&SUBKEY=BAKERY/1%2C14%2C14%2CB/frameset&FF=XBAKERY&searchscope=10&SORT=D&8%2C8%2C YOU CAN CLICK ON THE PICTURE TO GET A LARGER IMAGE.

For some reason, I get an error message when I go to this link.

Can someone post this picture without the link?

Fishtown_Dave's picture

TECH, thanks for the link (I

TECH, thanks for the link (I finally got through). Some of my co-workers still talk about this place. One of their fondest childhood memories is getting into the backseat of the family car and taking a trip to Dawn Doughnuts with their parents just to ride the turntable.

TECH's picture

I am not sure on how to post

I am not sure on how to post the photo, that would be neat for this thread. As for Dawn Donuts, we used to bike ride up there from 3rd and Brown in the sixties. things were a bit safer back then.