I've had it...

lauraska's picture

We've been fine with the occasional firecrakers going off on a nightly basis, here. But as I type this, there is a group of guys at the park behind our home. They are setting off PROFESSIONAL GRADE FIREWORKS that are exploding right over our home, sending ash flying into our backyard, and I can only assume, onto our ROOF. I called the police, they came, they asked the men to leave and told me that the only thing they can do is ask them to go. The cop sped off and the guys went right back to what they were doing. I told them to stop...they laughed and set off four at once, instead of just one.

So now I'm sitting in my home, waiting for it to catch fire. Oh, and I called 911 again and the operator ARGUED with me about whether another cop should be sent out there.

Go ahead and call me a snob...I don't really give a [brooke], at this point. I'm a-okay with living in a neighborhood that is changing, where people are working together to improve the area for EVERYONE that lives there. But I don't consider trash flying across the street, children running around at all hours of the night (and destroying property when they do), open-air drug dealing, and setting off gigantic fire rockets right over your "neighbors" house to be acceptable behavior that we should just accept as a "way of life" here. It's not snobby to want your freakin' house to be safe from FIRE. There are some things NOT to be proud of...this is one of them.

NEW KENZO's picture

be careful, this could get

be careful, this could get worse if you confront them directly.

CALL STOCK!

qbert4578's picture

I feel for you... it sucks

I feel for you... it sucks that you have to be concerned about confronting a neighbor like that. However, on that note, on Saturday, my boyfriend Johnny confronted some kids about them playing baseball in the alley directly across from my house on Saturday. Whenever they missed a ball or something, it would inevitably hit my house and/or door... not cool. They mouthed off to him and he wasn't having that... these are pre-teens mouthing off to a well-built, tattooed MAN! Needless to say, they stopped, but not willingly. The next morning, we woke up to find Johnny's driver side window smashed. Coincidence? I think not...

Anyway-- just be careful. They're setting fireworks off non-stop over this way too... I'm just trying not to think about it! ;(

lauraska's picture

I left out the best part.

I left out the best part. When the cop came and asked them to leave, two guys came over to the squad car and said, "awwwww, officer, why you stopping the fun?" He shrugged, pointed at me, and said, "Ask her."

jobber's picture

I always thought that

I always thought that fireworks were illegal--I was stunned to see Target and other stores selling them. When did they become legal again?
If you by any chance got the car number that came to your house you should call the district first thing and report that the cop who responded pointed you out to the people you were complaining about. This was an issue with the officers from the 26th in the past--people would call 911 about teenage terrorists and then the cops would proceed to tell the kids who had made the complaint. They are not supposed to do that! Even if you don't have the car number or the cops name--I would call anyway and demand to speak to the captain.

panderson's picture

The glorified sparklers are

The glorified sparklers are legal, the packaging might make you think they are something more but they are just sparklers.
To buy the big, hand-blowing-off /roof-catch-on-fire- type one must cross state lines to purchase or get them from someone who did.
The neighborhood has been going nuts with the holiday approaching, and school closing, [worse than feared].

jmminarik's picture

jobber wrote: This was an

jobber wrote:

This was an issue with the officers from the 26th in the past--people would call 911 about teenage terrorists and then the cops would proceed to tell the kids who had made the complaint. They are not supposed to do that!

Unless you approach the vehicle and identify yourself to the cop, they should not even know who you are. Assuming you took down the operator's number, file a complaint with the Police Radio Advisory Board:

http://www.ppdonline.org/cmty/cmty_prab.php

Police Radio Advisory Board President Paul Andris at 215-464-8495

polishcowboi's picture

i dont think youre being

i dont think youre being snobby at all in this case
i dont think anyone who is worrying about the well being of thier property would be considered snobby
its ridiculous to assume that anyone should have to put up with that and i wish there was an alternative

its odd how many posts there've been lately that talk about the ineffectiveness of calling the police...it's a disgrace (and this is coming from a son of a former 26th district police officer...my dad rode a mounted police horse at front and girard as well as center city when i was a kid...i know its a tangent but...can you imagine??? a horse riding around at front and girard???)

anyways...i wonder if theres any sort of "fox undercover" type story that could be set up about the police around here's disinterest in making sure nuisance crimes actually stop when they leave...cause while nuisance crimes such as kids partying, fireworks, etc. are minor crimes....theyre still crimes

polishcowboi's picture

NEW KENZO wrote:be careful,

NEW KENZO wrote:

be careful, this could get worse if you confront them directly.

CALL STOCK!

i was JUST going to post a "i wonder if stock could come up with a good way to take care of these guys" post...and i thought "well...i havent read the whole thread yet so...he may have"

HA

polishcowboi's picture

jobber wrote:I always

jobber wrote:

I always thought that fireworks were illegal--I was stunned to see Target and other stores selling them. When did they become legal again?
If you by any chance got the car number that came to your house you should call the district first thing and report that the cop who responded pointed you out to the people you were complaining about. This was an issue with the officers from the 26th in the past--people would call 911 about teenage terrorists and then the cops would proceed to tell the kids who had made the complaint. They are not supposed to do that! Even if you don't have the car number or the cops name--I would call anyway and demand to speak to the captain.

whenever i call 911 on kids drinking and carrying on in the cemetery or right on my corner (where there are no steps...when i was a kid...we'd hang out on a corner that had steps....cause we liked to sit.....on steps...these kids'll just plop down on the sidewalk and in the middle of the street now...) anyways...when i call 911, i purposely call from my cell phone so that no address pops up

stock's picture

If someone bought some fire

If someone bought some fire works, maybe altered them a little, ie. very fast fuses, and then accidentally "dropped" them on their front door. They could have some serious problems. Hypothetically of course.

stock's picture

You could also call the

You could also call the police/FBI and say you heard very loud explosions, almost like a bomb/gun shots. Law enforcement does not take kindly to bombs.

I had kids setting off fireworks years ago. One day they decided it would cool to shoot bottle rockets off INSIDE the mail slot of your home. I looked out my window and saw them working their way to my home. My neighbor called to warn me they had just done it to her. I called the cops and said I heard gun shots next door and was going to grab my gun to go over and help my neighbor. Pretty fast response time. No more kids.

Pure_Fishtown's picture

Regarding this: Submitted

Regarding this:

Submitted by lauraska on Sun, 07/01/2007 - 11:24pm.
I left out the best part. When the cop came and asked them to leave, two guys came over to the squad car and said, "awwwww, officer, why you stopping the fun?" He shrugged, pointed at me, and said, "Ask her."

You should have reported him or her; the police are not allowed to identify the complainant.

Regarding this:

Submitted by jobber on Mon, 07/02/2007 - 12:36am.
I always thought that fireworks were illegal--I was stunned to see Target and other stores selling them. When did they become legal again?

I, too, was shocked to see this. It’s not illegal to sell fireworks;t is only illegal to sell them to residents of Pennsylvania.

Regarding this:

Submitted by lauraska on Sun, 07/01/2007 - 9:48pm
Go ahead and call me a snob...I don't really give a [brooke], at this point. I'm a-okay with living in a neighborhood that is changing, where people are working together to improve the area for EVERYONE that lives there. But I don't consider trash flying across the street, children running around at all hours of the night (and destroying property when they do), open-air drug dealing, and setting off gigantic fire rockets right over your "neighbors" house to be acceptable behavior that we should just accept as a "way of life" here. It's not snobby to want your freakin' house to be safe from FIRE. There are some things NOT to be proud of...this is one of them.

I don’t think you’re being snobby but I think your last sentence was inappropriate. We all understand that you were upset but I don't thing you are reaching the ones that assert it's a way of life. Those who participate and read this forum are not the low-life that inhabits the areas.

NEW KENZO's picture

I suspect it was plain to

I suspect it was plain to the kids that Lauraska was the one that called the cops, likely that she asked them to stop or was outside when he showed up, but the problem TO ME is that when the kids asked "why ya gotta stop the fun?" he BLAMED her like he didnt agree with her. That THAT is the attitude that seems to tell the kids "go ahead". To me, it'd been better if they never showed up to the scene. Why do cops sometimes have to be so bad at their job?

NEW KENZO's picture

who ya gonna call?

who ya gonna call?

Pure_Fishtown's picture

NEW KENZO wrote:I suspect it

NEW KENZO wrote:

I suspect it was plain to the kids that Lauraska was the one that called the cops, likely that she asked them to stop or was outside when he showed up, but the problem TO ME is that when the kids asked "why ya gotta stop the fun?" he BLAMED her like he didnt agree with her. That THAT is the attitude that seems to tell the kids "go ahead". To me, it'd been better if they never showed up to the scene. Why do cops sometimes have to be so bad at their job?

From the various threads here, it seems that we really are having a problem with our Police. Even though it is summer, I would encourage the FNA to have a public meeting with higher ups in the Police Department.

If these problems are not addressed in the beginning, you can bet on having worse problems in 3, 4, 5, 6 months from now. This problem will spread like a cancer.

dan's picture

Pure_Fishtown wrote:I

Pure_Fishtown wrote:

I don’t think you’re being snobby but I think your last sentence was inappropriate. We all understand that you were upset but I don't thing you are reaching the ones that assert it's a way of life. Those who participate and read this forum are not the low-life that inhabits the areas.

You might want to re-phrase that.
I think the last sentence comes across saying the opposite of what you mean to say.

irshgman2's picture

I walk to the Berks Street

I walk to the Berks Street EL stop every morning and if anyone ever is in need of a cop you can always find one or two SITTING in the parking lot of the Rec. center. There are even the good days when there are 3 cars/wagons lined up to each other talking. Heck, one day I was walking bye the officer was SLEEPING in his car!

lauraska's picture

My last sentence was more of

My last sentence was more of a venting, mainly because I was sitting in my living room feeling like I was in a war zone, instead of in my house. That's not to say I didn't mean it...

Thanks to everyone for the support. I think that Mike and I might go down to the station and file a complaint, tonight. Unfortunately, I was so mad (and scared) that I did not get the officer's squad car or badge number. But I remember what he looked like!

taggert street's picture

Your venting was well

Your venting was well understood by me. I'd file a complaint too. The police overall are so lax - people may have, or had, good dealings with them at community mtgs/events etc. but... the younger police officers seem as though they don't give a hoot - nothing like the old guard.

lauraska's picture

What if all of the people

What if all of the people who've had an issue with the 26th file a complaint with the Police Complaint Board downtown? What sucks is that you have to appear down there in person...but maybe if they got enough complaints from us, they might get the picture?

But then again, maybe I'm being to idealistic.

nick-bug's picture

lauraska wrote:Oh, and I

lauraska wrote:

Oh, and I called 911 again and the operator ARGUED with me about whether another cop should be sent out there.

i'm kind of curious... i hear a lot of complaints about the cops in/around Fishtown. Dan had a recent disappointment... there was a post about dumping down by the river, and now this... Yet, there was a recent post about how bad it was for the neighborhood that the Captain of the 26th was re-assigned.

Can someone reconcile these points of view for me? If no one is happy with the police, why are you happy with the leadership?

On that note: if you need to stop the fireworks, i'm kind of in agreement with what someone else suggested. Call it in as "shots fired" (who can tell the difference?). Then again, you're probably best to ignore it... More things need to change in the neighborhood/city before the fireworks (and other nuisance problems) can change. For right now, it is probably not a battle worth waging.

Although, i'm sure when the casinos arrive all of these little problems will magically disappear. Right? ;-)

dan's picture

nick-bug wrote:i'm kind of

nick-bug wrote:

i'm kind of curious... i hear a lot of complaints about the cops in/around Fishtown. Dan had a recent disappointment... there was a post about dumping down by the river, and now this... Yet, there was a recent post about how bad it was for the neighborhood that the Captain of the 26th was re-assigned.

Can someone reconcile these points of view for me? If no one is happy with the police, why are you happy with the leadership?

A few points:
1) The complaints you mention are all from the last few weeks - after the change in leadership. (note that I'm not laying the blame on the leadership change, but simply clarifying when the events occurred)
2) The complaints all address problems above and below the captain's level. My experience (and that of many others) was that Captain Campione worked hard, and was fairly successful, making sure law enforcement happened despite impediments from above and some problematic staff below.
3) My case was not handled by officers from the 26th. I'm pretty sure it was handled by East Detectives... although I'm not 100% positive.

marm's picture

Dan isn't the only one who

Dan isn't the only one who had a disappointment with the police. Yesterday I sat at my work for over 3 hours waiting for a cop to come because of a hit and run. Whoever it was ran right into our storage facility. I got tired of waiting so I decided to call the district and waited another hour. No one showed up.Glad I wasn't being robbed. GLAD TO SEE I CAN COUNT ON THE COPS.

dan's picture

Unfortunately, those long

Unfortunately, those long waits are part of the systemic problems from above.
911 is centrally dispatched.

george's picture

nick-bug wrote:i'm kind of

nick-bug wrote:

i'm kind of curious... i hear a lot of complaints about the cops in/around Fishtown. Dan had a recent disappointment... there was a post about dumping down by the river, and now this... Yet, there was a recent post about how bad it was for the neighborhood that the Captain of the 26th was re-assigned.

Can someone reconcile these points of view for me? If no one is happy with the police, why are you happy with the leadership?

I met Captain Campione on a couple of occassions and never felt he was anything less than dedicated to the job. I'm reasonably certain that others here who dealt with him would say the same.

That said, I also believe the 26th has been providing a substandard level of policing here. While it is true that the majority of officers are doing the best they can under trying conditions, I don't think the number that aren't is "tiny." I think it's considerable. And the embarrassing episodes committed recently ("sex shows" in the precinct house, shoplifting, etc.) speak to a lack of discipline and/or accountability. It can't be excused.

Frankly, I've never seen worse policing anywhere I've lived. Drug dealing is done in the open...kids routinely terrorize residents...traffic laws seem to be a mere "suggestion" and the response time is often atrocious. I once called 911 from work after witnessing a hit-and-run on Girard (involving a pedestrian!) and it was nearly 15 minutes before anyone arrived. The girl could have died if it had been a worse accident.

In fairness, none of should forget that the problems of the 26th are endemic to the Philadelphia police as a whole. It is an understaffed and underfunded department that lacks the tools needed to really tackle the bigger picture.

But even with those limitations, there is too much institutional forgiveness and lack of accountability for sloppy or non-existent policing and the 26th certainly does not rise above those failures...at least not in my experience.

Kat's picture

george wrote:nick-bug

george wrote:
nick-bug wrote:

i'm kind of curious... i hear a lot of complaints about the cops in/around Fishtown. Dan had a recent disappointment... there was a post about dumping down by the river, and now this... Yet, there was a recent post about how bad it was for the neighborhood that the Captain of the 26th was re-assigned.

Can someone reconcile these points of view for me? If no one is happy with the police, why are you happy with the leadership?

I met Captain Campione on a couple of occassions and never felt he was anything less than dedicated to the job. I'm reasonably certain that others here who dealt with him would say the same.

That said, I also believe the 26th has been providing a substandard level of policing here. While it is true that the majority of officers are doing the best they can under trying conditions, I don't think the number that aren't is "tiny." I think it's considerable. And the embarrassing episodes committed recently ("sex shows" in the precinct house, shoplifting, etc.) speak to a lack of discipline and/or accountability. It can't be excused.

Frankly, I've never seen worse policing anywhere I've lived. Drug dealing is done in the open...kids routinely terrorize residents...traffic laws seem to be a mere "suggestion" and the response time is often atrocious. I once called 911 from work after witnessing a hit-and-run on Girard (involving a pedestrian!) and it was nearly 15 minutes before anyone arrived. The girl could have died if it had been a worse accident.

In fairness, none of should forget that the problems of the 26th are endemic to the Philadelphia police as a whole. It is an understaffed and underfunded department that lacks the tools needed to really tackle the bigger picture.

But even with those limitations, there is too much institutional forgiveness and lack of accountability for sloppy or non-existent policing and the 26th certainly does not rise above those failures...at least not in my experience.

Amen to that George!

polishcowboi's picture

george wrote: I once

george wrote:

I once called 911 from work after witnessing a hit-and-run on Girard (involving a pedestrian!) and it was nearly 15 minutes before anyone arrived. The girl could have died if it had been a worse accident.

that IS ridiculous...especially considering that the 26th is right down the street on girard...they just needed to drive in a straight line!!! but then again, they also park thier cop cars right across the street from the rec, and we all know what sorts of shady business goes on there right under the cops noses

roma258's picture

lauraska wrote:My last

lauraska wrote:

My last sentence was more of a venting, mainly because I was sitting in my living room feeling like I was in a war zone, instead of in my house. That's not to say I didn't mean it...

Thanks to everyone for the support. I think that Mike and I might go down to the station and file a complaint, tonight. Unfortunately, I was so mad (and scared) that I did not get the officer's squad car or badge number. But I remember what he looked like!

From reading your posts, you seem pretty unhappy in your current location. I'm not trying to be a smart ass, but what would it take for you to move? I don't think most people south of York have to deal with the amount of crap that you've had to put up with. Is it a money thing?

plaidpony's picture

nick-bug wrote:Then again,

nick-bug wrote:

Then again, you're probably best to ignore it... More things need to change in the neighborhood/city before the fireworks (and other nuisance problems) can change. For right now, it is probably not a battle worth waging.

I think one of the biggest problems with the leadership of this city, and the police as well, is this kind of thinking. New York finally realized several years ago that if you target the quality of life issues (graffiti, vandalism, squeegee guys etc...) it will have an impact on everything else. It is impossible to clean up the big problems in a neighborhood if the underlying feelings are that that's just the way things are, so why worry about it. Paul Levy of the Center City District emphasizes over and over that if you clean up the appearance of a place, you will be able to solve the bigger problems. As long as the police give the impression that the laws are stupid and it's a waste of time to enforce them, people will continue to flout them. I can tell you if I'd spent all the time to follow an illegal dumper and call it in only to get a response saying basically "we don't give a brooke" I'm really not going to be too likely to try again. And to be called out as a party pooper for reporting illegal fireworks being blown up over your house is ridiculous! It just makes me SO frustrated to hear about these things.

george's picture

plaidpony wrote: I think one

plaidpony wrote:

I think one of the biggest problems with the leadership of this city, and the police as well, is this kind of thinking. New York finally realized several years ago that if you target the quality of life issues (graffiti, vandalism, squeegee guys etc...) it will have an impact on everything else. It is impossible to clean up the big problems in a neighborhood if the underlying feelings are that that's just the way things are, so why worry about it.

You are 100% right. Targeting the "small" stuff turned out to have a dramatic overall impact because it was found that those responsible for the quality of life violations were very often the SAME people engaged in much more serious criminal activity.

New York has used that lesson to become one of the safest big cities in the country (and who ever thought you'd say THAT 20 years ago?). Los Angeles is now seeing similar results because of the same policy. Philadelphia badly needs to do the same. The old methods do not work.