Affordable Skin Care on Girard Recommended !

panderson's picture

Just a plug for Affordable Skin Care on Girard Ave. The facials are sublimely wonderful.
It really is affordable and so down to earth in a relaxed comfortable way. I consider it one of Fishtown's best businesses.
Previously known as "Acne Stop", don't let the name fool you, the esthetician knows how to treat every skin type.
Highly Recommended!

UFO's picture

Is the Acne Stop sign

Is the Acne Stop sign down?
_________________________________
UFO Commander
Legion of Decency, ret.

bikegirl's picture

Is it still run by Mary?

Is it still run by Mary?

MichelleLynn's picture

I have a gift certificate to

I have a gift certificate to Acne Stop, is this still the same place?

"Exceptional human beings must be given exceptional educational treatment."
Hans Asperger, 1944

jmminarik's picture

While a more 'upscale' name

While a more 'upscale' name probably makes business sense, I liked the old one for it's simplicity and direct to the pointness, even if it was a little funny. :-)

-Joe
"It's amazing how much "mature wisdom" resembles being too tired." Lazarus Long

panderson's picture

it is the same as acne stop,

it is the same as acne stop, run by mary. the masseuse is different, a local guy who was previously at Topper's Spa.
i didn't mind the old name but i think the new one is more true to mary's purpose and a bit less embarassing to a teen or acne-sufferer.
an hour-long facial as low as $35 !

Nunzio's picture

Fishtown has turned the

Fishtown has turned the corner. Maid service and $35 facials! Unheard of in Fishtown just a few years ago.

Is $35 inexpensive for a facial? What would you pay somewhere else?

Just in case there's any confusion about where I'm going with this, no, I'm not a metrosexual. I clip my own fingernails. I'm just looking out for Kat.

UFO's picture

panderson wrote:it is the

panderson wrote:

it is the same as acne stop, run by mary. the masseuse is different, a local guy who was previously at Topper's Spa.

Toppers was a good spa. I knew people who loved it there.

Marjgold's picture

Hi Nunzio $35 is a great

Hi Nunzio
$35 is a great price for a facial. At Pierre and Carlo at the Bellvue (now the Park Hyatt) it's about $55!

brooke's picture

I've paid $70 for an hour

I've paid $70 for an hour facial. I think that's about what Toppers is. Toppers, IMO, is overpriced and not so quality. For a great masssage, almost every spa-going woman in the city votes Terme di Aroma in Old City. It's pretty economical at $70/hour. I wish I could justify going more than just on my bday and Valentine's Day (a nice consolation prize when one doesn't want to dwell on being single).

I am anxious to try out the massages at ASC. Mary's facials are great and her eyebrow waxes are pretty painless (and this coming from a big crybaby about the waxing).

dan's picture

panderson wrote:the masseuse

panderson wrote:

the masseuse is different, a local guy

just to be a technical pain,
a male is a masseur,
a female is a masseuse

(I'd probably not say anything, except that I was a massage therapist and paid a good chunk of my way through school that way)

bikegirl's picture

dan wrote:just to be a

dan wrote:

just to be a technical pain,
a male is a masseur,
a female is a masseuse

(I'd probably not say anything, except that I was a massage therapist and paid a good chunk of my way through school that way)

Wha? Nobody picked up on this, or am I just the last to know?

dan's picture

bikegirl wrote:Wha? Nobody

bikegirl wrote:

am I just the last to know?

The last to know about the words "masseur/masseuse"
or the last to know that I used to be a massage therapist?

george's picture

jmminarik wrote:While a more

jmminarik wrote:

While a more 'upscale' name probably makes business sense, I liked the old one for it's simplicity and direct to the pointness, even if it was a little funny. :-)

I'm partial to "The Zit Pit."

sheskrafty23's picture

george wrote:jmminarik

george wrote:
jmminarik wrote:

While a more 'upscale' name probably makes business sense, I liked the old one for it's simplicity and direct to the pointness, even if it was a little funny. :-)

I'm partial to "The Zit Pit."

Love it! I also like the "The Pore Store".

Thanks for the recommendation though - I definitely want to check this place out!!

ofofhy's picture

dan wrote:bikegirl wrote:am

dan wrote:
bikegirl wrote:

am I just the last to know?

The last to know about the words "masseur/masseuse"
or the last to know that I used to be a massage therapist?

I hope you didn't advertise in the back of the City Paper.

AM's picture

Where exactly is Affordable

Where exactly is Affordable Skin Care on Girard Avenue?

dan's picture

ofofhy wrote:I hope you

ofofhy wrote:

I hope you didn't advertise in the back of the City Paper.

Heck, no!
I'm 100% legit!

Kat's picture

Nunzio wrote:Fishtown has

Nunzio wrote:

Fishtown has turned the corner. Maid service and $35 facials! Unheard of in Fishtown just a few years ago.

Is $35 inexpensive for a facial? What would you pay somewhere else?

Just in case there's any confusion about where I'm going with this, no, I'm not a metrosexual. I clip my own fingernails. I'm just looking out for Kat.

That's my Nunzio...always lookin out for the sister.....

jmminarik's picture

AM wrote:Where exactly is

AM wrote:

Where exactly is Affordable Skin Care on Girard Avenue?

On Girard between Columbia and Palmer, the other side of the avenue next to the first pres. (the big green dome-like thing).

-Joe

Pure_Fishtown's picture

Because of this thread, I

Because of this thread, I tried Affordable Skin Care -- it was great. Mary now has another regular customer.

I also took my niece who as an acne problem, Mary did wonders. Now make that two more regulars.

Her prices are very reasonable. Ladies, facials made to order for your face, chemical peels, waxing -- its too relaxing, you must try it. I heard from friends the massages are to die for.

The shop is on Girard between Montgomery and Palmer.

mtown's picture

i also have had a great

i also have had a great experience there!

AM's picture

I sent my daughter (14) here

I sent my daughter (14) here for a facial and she loved it and let me know how helpful the owner was, taking the time to explain things to her. It's nice to know that she's so good with young people. I'll definitely be sending her back and I'll be going with her!