Cold Enough For You

Cajunmoon's picture

I don't now about you guys but I think it is one of the coldest nights yet.

I live on the 15th floor in CC and the wind is whipping around and thumping the building.

I stepped out a few times for a smoke and Brrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Shovelled_Up_Dead_Corpses_Rotting_You's picture

it's pretty [brooke] cold

it's pretty damn cold but it's not the coldest day of the year. that was a few weeks ago. it's 28. not sure what the windchill is but I remember a few weeks ago it was like 17, not even including the windchill!

codergrrl's picture

Not so cold, just

Not so cold, just windy.
Ignore the "wind chill factor" unless your standing outside smoking naked.
Its just another invention to scare you into watching the weather...much like the dreaded "Heat Index".

jmminarik's picture

codergrrl wrote:Not so cold,

codergrrl wrote:

Not so cold, just windy.
Ignore the "wind chill factor" unless your standing outside smoking naked.

Maybe you can ignore it, I can't. I'd rather have 10 degree weather and no wind than 30 degree weather and the winds we've had.

tudor's picture

I don't think it's really

I don't think it's really that cold out, but I think I wish winter was over more than before.

jim.shreds's picture

i am over winter.

i am over winter.

dan's picture

yes - Winter be gone! off

yes - Winter be gone!

off with you, now!

codergrrl's picture

Have faith my friends... I

Have faith my friends...
I saw geese flying north on Friday, and have seen daffodils with more than three inches up and out of the ground!
Yipee!

george's picture

...and yet it barely

...and yet it barely registers with the guy from Florida. August is what I dread.

I swear I must have been a penguin in a previous life.

Alberta's picture

How cold is it? It's so

How cold is it? It's so cold that our pipes froze on Moyer Street! Oh wait. That must be because we have a GI-HUGIC SINK HOLE with no insulation for the pipes.

dan's picture

Yes, I've noticed a few

Yes, I've noticed a few holes in streets not being fixed.
Is this a new policy - just allow the holes to stay open?

Alberta's picture

Seems that way, doesn't it

Seems that way, doesn't it Dan? They are telling us the holes (there are now 3) won't be filled and repaired until at least June, if we are lucky. And someone tried to steal the copper pipe last week. Good times on Moyer.

Trixie's picture

hate to be negative, but

hate to be negative, but expect it to get warm and then very cold again towards the end of March. I know because my burthday is in the last week of March and its usually freezing again!

jmminarik's picture

Trixie wrote:hate to be

Trixie wrote:

hate to be negative, but expect it to get warm and then very cold again towards the end of March. I know because my burthday is in the last week of March and its usually freezing again!

So I should believe you over the stupid groundhog? Why? :dontknow:

netable's picture

The Cold I can

The Cold I can take......It's the Bitter wind' I don't get cold unless it is windy ughhhhh

I swear I could wear flip flops all year if it wasn't for the wind..............

Shovelled_Up_Dead_Corpses_Rotting_You's picture

I'd like to see this thread

I'd like to see this thread bumped come July/August when the same people that are complaining and saying that they are sick of winter are saying the same thing about summer.

for the record, I hate the cold, and you will rarely find me complaining about heat.

dan's picture

Shovelled_Up_Dead_Corpses_Rot

Shovelled_Up_Dead_Corpses_Rotting_You wrote:

for the record, I hate the cold, and you will rarely find me complaining about heat.

ditto.

qbert4578's picture

george wrote:...August is

george wrote:

...August is what I dread.

I swear I must have been a penguin in a previous life.

I agree. It's rare to find other people that like the cold.

Nunzio's picture

qbert4578 wrote:george

qbert4578 wrote:
george wrote:

...August is what I dread.

I swear I must have been a penguin in a previous life.

I agree. It's rare to find other people that like the cold.

Count me in. I hate August. And July. And June. And parts of May and September.

dan wrote:

Yes, I've noticed a few holes in streets not being fixed. Is this a new policy - just allow the holes to stay open?

I just had an idea for the city to raise revenue. How about we get places like Just Tires or Bob's Alignment to sponsor all these pot holes? They can stick a big sign in the hole that says, "Need tires and an alignment? We're running a special for residents of Moyer Street. Double savings if you bring a friend who drives through the intersection of Frankford and Palmer."

lauraska's picture

I called the city about a

I called the city about a street drain being filled in with cement, by a dude building a house on the corner where the drain was. That was back in December, I think. The Water Dept was just there, this morning, fixing it. I rolled down the window of the car as I was driving by and thanked them for fixing it. They seemed happy to get a thank you...I'm sure they've been getting alot more anger than thanks, these days. So I'd say that we had a more than positive result, with our seemingly three month wait.

jmminarik's picture

Cold temps with high winds

Cold temps with high winds byte. Then they have the El heater set to 'broil'.

Hot temps with high humidity and no winds byte, esp. when you have to get dressed for work and walk a bit to get there and the El A/C is set to 'barely on' bytes.

But if it was Spring or Fall all year round, it would be boring. And we'd have nothing to complain about except idjit mayors and high priced pierogi tours. :dontknow:

george's picture

qbert4578 wrote: I agree.

qbert4578 wrote:

I agree. It's rare to find other people that like the cold.

Good to know there's other weirdos out there!

Seriously, back in Miami I was the guy doing cartwheels anytime the mercury plunged into the 40s...which obviously wasn't all that often. Just never liked hot weather at all, which was a BIG reason I relocated.

I'm not COMPLETELY nuts, though. Having endured two Michigan winters years ago, that's not something I'd care to experience again (40-below windchills are not very charming) but the Philly version of winter is just fine with me.

Plus, I tend to sweat like Niagara Falls when it's hot out. Ick.

Larry99's picture

I guess if I had to choose,

I guess if I had to choose, I'd take cold weather over hot but what I really like is the change of seasons. I get sick of one and look forward to the next. I'm still not sick of winter yet though; I want more snow although it seems unlikely.

workerbee's picture

I don't mind the cold when I

I don't mind the cold when I am dressed for it.
I love sweaters

I love sitting out back in the heat. (I have trees)
Most other folks need air conditioning ... it's like having the city to myself.

When it is cold ...
I don't like watching the bus drive by when I have waited a half hour.
I really don't like driving in iffy or bad weather.
Reason being ... the people who need to be on cell phones in 4 wheel drive vehicles running up on my rear or cutting in and out.

I found that driving the speed limit saves me a LOT of money in gas.

jmminarik's picture

workerbee wrote: I found

workerbee wrote:

I found that driving the speed limit saves me a LOT of money in gas.

You, me and about 4 other people who aren't seniors know this.

Shovelled_Up_Dead_Corpses_Rotting_You's picture

woo hoo let's hear it for

woo hoo let's hear it for younger people who drive like older people (well, as far as slowness goes, not like as far as senile and crazy and just plain bad goes)

george's picture

Shovelled_Up_Dead_Corpses_Rot

Shovelled_Up_Dead_Corpses_Rotting_You wrote:

woo hoo let's hear it for younger people who drive like older people (well, as far as slowness goes, not like as far as senile and crazy and just plain bad goes)

Yeah, there's a happy medium somewhere between the two...

Cajunmoon's picture

george wrote: Good to know

george wrote:

Good to know there's other weirdos out there!

Seriously, back in Miami I was the guy doing cartwheels anytime the mercury plunged into the 40s...which obviously wasn't all that often. Just never liked hot weather at all, which was a BIG reason I relocated.

I'm not COMPLETELY nuts, though. Having endured two Michigan winters years ago, that's not something I'd care to experience again (40-below windchills are not very charming) but the Philly version of winter is just fine with me.

Plus, I tend to sweat like Niagara Falls when it's hot out. Ick.

You are not weird George. I loved it when it got cooler in FL. I also agree with others that the cold is ok when it isn't terribly windy which makes it feel a lot colder. Overall I really don't mind the cold weather. Being back in Center City overshadows the cold weather. As I have said many times before this is my birthplace and the city I love and adore and will always call home.

Cajunmoon's picture

Larry99 wrote:I guess if I

Larry99 wrote:

I guess if I had to choose, I'd take cold weather over hot but what I really like is the change of seasons. I get sick of one and look forward to the next. I'm still not sick of winter yet though; I want more snow although it seems unlikely.

You got your wish. It is nice when it is a storm with some substance isn't it?