Scum Bag Judge

kdubs215's picture

I hope that judge from the 35th needs a cop soon and no one helps him . I hope those cops make his life miserable from now on . Every Court room that is within a district has the same memorial and he is the only one to have a problem with it . I wish something bad happens to this a hole

biggeo's picture

i saw the story to, what a

i saw the story to, what a asshole i'm sure he is going to wish he never brought the subject up what a dick head

jmminarik's picture

*sigh* For those who have no

*sigh* For those who have no clue what this thread is about:
http://www.philly.com/philly/hp/news_update/20090217_Police_union_demands_judges_ouster.html

lauraska's picture

Can I take a guess as to why

Can I take a guess as to why he did it? Perhaps it was because he thought it would imply a bias in support of law enforcement if he left them up. And he is supposed to be impartial, on the surface, at least.

I'm not necessarily supporting him...just giving a different perspective. Let the freaking out begin.

FrankLloydRoarke's picture

lauraska wrote:Can I take a

lauraska wrote:

Can I take a guess as to why he did it? Perhaps it was because he thought it would imply a bias in support of law enforcement if he left them up. And he is supposed to be impartial, on the surface, at least.

I'm not necessarily supporting him...just giving a different perspective. Let the freaking out begin.

This is exactly the case. From a municipal judge:

Quote:

"The 35th District police headquarters serves as an official courtroom for preliminary hearings three days a week. Although the hearings are held at the police station, they must be treated like hearings held in any other official courtroom in the City of Philadelphia. As such, photographs are not permitted directly on the bench when Court is in session. While photographs placed in other locations are permitted, the Courtroom must avoid any appearance of bias."

I think the reports so far have done short shrift to this aspect. It was clearly an unfortunate coincidence that this courtroom doubled as the roll call room.

With that said, neither party comes out looking particularly good in what I've seen so far: The judge almost certainly could've handled this better (at least according to reports), especially if the law/precedent is on his side about having pictures, etc. in a courtroom. He's certainly not doing himself any favors by not responding to questions.

The cops, whom I sympathize with and are clearly (and rightly) sensitive right now, aren't doing themselves any favors by saying things like, "He's probably a reason why the city is like this with so many repeat offenders being out there." That is just a stupid thing to say about someone who is ostensibly on your side, but I'll chalk it up to emotions. They also made no effort to acknowledge that, in fact, photos are not to be displayed in the courtroom. The judge and court deserve the same type of respect the cops want, and they did not seem to be willing to give it (from what I've seen and heard)

I don't think anyone is truly at fault here -- just an unfortunate situation with one guy trying to do his job and other people trying to honor their comrade. But it sure as hell will make for some good theater.

lilroja's picture

The judge did it because

The judge did it because it's a court room and it needs to be impartial. It's that simple. He could have gone about it a different way although it sounds like he tried. Perhaps a court room should not be in a police station in the first place.

MichelleLynn's picture

jmminarik wrote:*sigh* For

jmminarik wrote:

*sigh* For those who have no clue what this thread is about:
http://www.philly.com/philly/hp/news_update/20090217_Police_union_demands_judges_ouster.html

Thanks, I had no idea...

I am not sure I agree with the way he handled it, placing the pictures face down like that in an open court room, (I am assuming it happened that way), but I do agree that the courtroom is not the place for the pictures to be displayed.
If I were in a court room, or a juror or anyone really in a position when legal determinations are made I do not think I can say 100% that any decision I made would be impartial based on the emotions of saddness and anger the pictures would most likely bring out in me, and I must say this includes the Judge himself! I am sure looking at the pictures would not help him in any way be impartial.. he is after all, only human and as an officer of the court, just as saddened as we all were by this officer's death, maybe even more so.,.

just my opinion.

brooke's picture

Is it me or is the article

Is it me or is the article written in a poor and confusing way...on purpose?

netable's picture

The pictures had "No

The pictures had "No Business" being there' The Judge actually did the right thing by requesting that the photo's be removed' and I am sure when they were not removed he became annoyed because he could not do his "Job" to the best of his ability. What should he have done? Refuse to get onto the Bench until the photo's were removed? That would have went over real well, Especially since the good ole Phila.gov loves to waste taxpayers' money, or hold court in another room?

He was put into a corner' and it seems like "He was being disrespectful by placing the photo's face down, but I dont think that he was' I think he was just trying to do his job' and people are angry and mourning and need to take their frustrations out on someone or something' because this City is getting ridiculous with all the Killings' and the rest of the violence.

Anyone think about if the Judge would have left the Photo there? He would have been seen as a "Corrupt" Judge and all the Criminals and their Families that went into that courtroom would have been crying boohoo' I was treated unfairly due to the jury/judge/witnnesses etc being influenced by the photo of the dead officer'

I kinda feel sorry for the Judge', cause if he truly was just doing his job~~ then this thing he done will be blown out of whack and make him seem like a Scumbag for a very long time

lauraska's picture

Everyone look...Netable and

Everyone look...Netable and I agree!!!! Well said.

kdubs215's picture

Every court rooom thats is a

Every court rooom thats is a police district has the same photo up and NO OTHER JUDGE had a problem . This guy just sealed his fate and will never get any support for the police if he needs it . It was a slap in the face to that officer and all cops . I love that they ripped his parking sign down and i heard they put it on his door step over night . Rich costello ripped him a new one and the guy had no idea what to say .

netable's picture

kdubs215 wrote:Every court

kdubs215 wrote:

Every court rooom thats is a police district has the same photo up and NO OTHER JUDGE had a problem . This guy just sealed his fate and will never get any support for the police if he needs it . It was a slap in the face to that officer and all cops . I love that they ripped his parking sign down and i heard they put it on his door step over night . Rich costello ripped him a new one and the guy had no idea what to say .

Kdubs'

If every courtroom has a photo up of all falling officers' then its wrong' they are wrong' Im not saying that the Districts shouldnt have Photo's, they should' They should have them all over the place'
But not in the Courtroom' because some may be influenced by the presence of that photo when making a decision' on someone elses' Life' a court of Law should be "Fair" (not that it is)

For Instance' Say your imaginary Son' had a few beers and then got in the Car to Drive Home (he wasn't drunk) and some idjit blows a stop sign and your Son crashes into the Stop sign blower and kills him, its an accident' some would say it was even the victims fault' but because your Son has alcohol in his system, he is charged with MURDER so he goes to his preliminary hearing' and guess what' there is a Picture of Officer Simpson (the Cop who was killed in the crash at Aramingo Ave) plastered in the Courtroom' Do you think your Son is going to be treated fairly? Can you say that they wouldnt be influenced on the charges' sentencing etc, by that photo of Officer Simpson?

So here is the Scenario' Your Son is a Good Kid' just got home from College (baseball Scholarship) and had 2 beers with his Buddies' before driving home because he has work the next morning as a volunteer at the VA hospital.
The Victim' Blew the Stop sign, and has a history of driving negligence' wasnt even a licensed driver' (Suspended)

With that photo of Officer Simpson posted' what do you think is going to happen to your Son?

He is going to be treated unfairly' and he is a good kid who made a stupid mistake' and because of People's anger of something else' Your Son will pay for that other Persons Crime' and anyone else who enters' that courtroom.

I just don't think the Judge did it disrespectfully, I think he was trying to do his Job' and for those Officers' who ripped down his parking plate' and left it on his doorstep is not the kind of Officers' I want protecting me or my Community'

Now' I think Judges and Jurors' jobs are extremely hard enough' let alone have to be influenced by pictures of a Fallen Officer, I caould never be a judge or juror' because I would never be able to determine the outcome of someone's life' I just couldnt do it
However, the above doesn't neccessarily mean that the Judge was doing it to do the right thing, I would hope that is the reason he did it, but he could have done it to be malicious and disrespectful and a creep' Whatever reason he did it, It should never have been there anyhow.

And to have a Captain say something like "Judges dont worry about being killed yada yada yada" Is stupid' because I would believe that some Judges constantly second guess theirselves' and when something horrible happens I would assume that they are filled with "What If's" like what if I would have sentenced that Guy 10 yrs instead of 5 that Officer wouldn't have died etc.
All they can do, is Do their job to the best of their ability, and follow the Law as it is written' I'm sure there are many sleepless nights for them.........

dan's picture

TWO THINGS: 1) don't worry

TWO THINGS:

1) don't worry about the other posters' personalities - talk about their ideas
2) don't provoke other folks with taglines at the end of your posts

codergrrl's picture

It just seems odd that he

It just seems odd that he heard about 30 cases before he decided it was unfair.

lauraska's picture

I didn't think my signature

I didn't think my signature provoked anyone into jumping on my post, despite the fact that at least three other people expressed the same opinion, but I changed it anyway.

dan's picture

I wasn't thinking of

I wasn't thinking of signatures.
I was thinking of things like "Let the freaking out begin."

lauraska's picture

Ah...well in that case, I'm

Ah...well in that case, I'm guilty anyway.

netable's picture

codergrrl wrote:It just

codergrrl wrote:

It just seems odd that he heard about 30 cases before he decided it was unfair.

Oh' I didn't know that, In that case he is a Creep =),

But the Pic shouldn't be in a Courtroom...........

marm's picture

Um I am guessing I missed

Um I am guessing I missed part of this forum because my post is not up here anymore..

netable's picture

marm wrote:Um I am guessing

marm wrote:

Um I am guessing I missed part of this forum because my post is not up here anymore..

It was probably deleted because you said something about one of the "Clickers"

marm's picture

netable wrote:marm wrote:Um

netable wrote:
marm wrote:

Um I am guessing I missed part of this forum because my post is not up here anymore..

It was probably deleted because you said something about one of the "Clickers"

What is the "Clicker"...

rtsaidred's picture

codergrrl wrote:It just

codergrrl wrote:

It just seems odd that he heard about 30 cases before he decided it was unfair.

Maybe he didn't think about it before someone pointed it out.

stein's picture

DANG IT I HATE WHEN PEOPLE

DANG IT I HATE WHEN PEOPLE ENFORCE THE RULE OF LAW! WHAT IS THIS, SOVIET RUSSIA!?

shadylady's picture

OK tried to keep quiet

OK tried to keep quiet BUT>>> this COURTROOM is also their roll call room the last place these officers spent time with jihn while he was alive secoundly it is a court of law which this judge is a member of the law society that these people and this district uphold to ask them to forget that is a joke. As for this judge feeling as though he couldn't be bias with johns picture in front of his desk not on it, then he should not hold the bench if he can be swayed so easily!!!!

stein's picture

its not about the judge

its not about the judge being swayed, its about giving defense lawyers grounds for appeals on procedural grounds.

jmminarik's picture

stein wrote:its not about

stein wrote:

its not about the judge being swayed, its about giving defense lawyers grounds for appeals on procedural grounds.

Can you appeal preliminary hearings? Serious question.

Considering the roll call rooms is probably filled with 'cop stuff', it was probably a bit over cautious to give the guy the benefit of the doubt.

kdubs215's picture

FOP said they will call for

FOP said they will call for all cases to be moved out of THIER HOUSE !! THEY DONT WANT COURT THERE ANYMORE ..... The mayor is in a pickle with this ...

Pure_Fishtown's picture

I just don't understand how

I just don't understand how the picture of the slain officer is a problem. If the picture wasn't on the roll call desk/bench, it would be hung on the wall of the same room. Take a walk over to the 26th, you'll see a picture of Danny Boyle on the wall. Who is the picture going to sway? There is no jury, just the judge.

It was a dumb move on the judge's part.

stein's picture

jmminarik wrote:stein

jmminarik wrote:
stein wrote:

its not about the judge being swayed, its about giving defense lawyers grounds for appeals on procedural grounds.

Can you appeal preliminary hearings? Serious question.

I don't know, maybe lauraska can tell us?

lauraska's picture

stein wrote:jmminarik

stein wrote:
jmminarik wrote:
stein wrote:

its not about the judge being swayed, its about giving defense lawyers grounds for appeals on procedural grounds.

Can you appeal preliminary hearings? Serious question.

I don't know, maybe lauraska can tell us?

Or maybe you all could look it up. God forbid I give anyone the answer they don't want to hear.

dan's picture

everyone, please

everyone, please read:
http://fishtown.us/node/12395