More neighborhood changes - natural foods at Thriftway

plaidpony's picture

So I was just at the Thriftway, and they've devoted an entire side of an aisle (formerly the soap aisle) to Whole Foods style natural and organic foods. They have natural cereals, juice, some Indian and Thai packaged stuff, a bunch of different kinds of rice, flour, Soups, Annie's Mac & Cheese and some gluten free items (plus a bunch more stuff). Oh, and the Slim-Fast is mixed in there too (cause that's really healthy). I overheard a few "what the h is this" type comments, as well as some nods of approval. The cashier said it was in response to customer requests. It'll be interesting to see how it goes.

th's picture

I have requested that their

I have requested that their produce not rot before I get it home on several occasions ... but so far no response.

newcomer's picture

th wrote:I have requested

th wrote:

I have requested that their produce not rot before I get it home on several occasions ... but so far no response.

Be reasonable. I beg you.

plaidpony's picture

That was the next thing I

That was the next thing I thought we could try to work on. Baby steps...

lauraska's picture

I was going to make a

I was going to make a similar comment. I'll be psyched to go there and buy the natural foods as soon as I don't have to walk through a fly swarm to get to produce. BUT it's awesome to know that they have made changes to reflect customers' requests.

th's picture

Does anyone know what kind

Does anyone know what kind of grocery store they are planning to put in the apartment complex at 2nd and Gerard? I vote for a Wegmans.

frankdatank's picture

If the above people don't

If the above people don't like Thriftway so much, the solution is very simple. Don't shop there. This seems to be a topic that comes up often, blogging about how awful Thriftway is. Wegman's nor Wholefoods will never open up a location in the 19125 zip code, so don't try to make the Port Richmond Thriftway one of those locations, though I do think it's great that they are at least trying to listen to the customer's requests. Personally, I do not like Thriftway either, and ya know what? I don't shop there.

lauraska's picture

frankdatank wrote:If the

frankdatank wrote:

If the above people don't like Thriftway so much, the solution is very simple. Don't shop there. This seems to be a topic that comes up often, blogging about how awful Thriftway is. Wegman's nor Wholefoods will never open up a location in the 19125 zip code, so don't try to make the Port Richmond Thriftway one of those locations, though I do think it's great that they are at least trying to listen to the customer's requests. Personally, I do not like Thriftway either, and ya know what? I don't shop there.

There's nothing wrong with hoping that the grocery store that is closest and most convenient to your house will make positive changes to suit its customer base. There's also nothing unreasonable about expecting non-rotten produce. I'm sure that most of us who complained, DO shop at other stores. This is an internet forum, where people express opinions. We put up with yours, so you can put up with ours.

Shovelled_Up_Dead_Corpses_Rotting_You's picture

good for them. I need to do

good for them. I need to do some shopping right now and don't' feel like going downtown to Whole Foods or Trader Joes so I may just give them another shot.

th's picture

frankdatank wrote:If the

frankdatank wrote:

If the above people don't like Thriftway so much, the solution is very simple. Don't shop there. This seems to be a topic that comes up often, blogging about how awful Thriftway is. Wegman's nor Wholefoods will never open up a location in the 19125 zip code, so don't try to make the Port Richmond Thriftway one of those locations, though I do think it's great that they are at least trying to listen to the customer's requests. Personally, I do not like Thriftway either, and ya know what? I don't shop there.

WWWaaaaaaa!! Help Dan Help - my Thriftway bashing lifestyle/identity is being attacked and I am offended!!!

Actually I'm pretty sure your right. I was asking about the complex in Northern Liberties. It may be a little more likely around there. They're not 19125 right?

dan's picture

th wrote:WWWaaaaaaa!! Help

th wrote:

WWWaaaaaaa!! Help Dan Help - my Thriftway bashing lifestyle/identity is being attacked and I am offended!!!

Suck it up, Chuckles.

SimonDell's picture

I saw the aisle last night

I saw the aisle last night and bought a couple of things. While my heart belongs to Trader Joes and Wegman's, I frequent the Thriftway b/c of it's close proximity to our house. I'm THRILLED to see the organic friendly aisle!

jmminarik's picture

The real question is if

The real question is if there will be the required critical mass for the T-way to continue offering products in this aisle. If the product doesn't move because people won't shop there or won't pay the extra price or go 'I can get this box of orgasmic spaghetti 10 cents cheaper at nature world', the aisle will go right back offering what people are willing to buy from T-way.

leov's picture

When my wife saw it last

When my wife saw it last week she spoke to the manager there who said that he's putting the stuff out at lower prices than recommended by the manufacturer/distributor because he thought folks wouldn't buy it otherwise. I can't for sure say whether that's true or not, or whether other grocery stores do the same but it could also mean that it's a deal too...

Larry99's picture

I've been shopping at T-way

I've been shopping at T-way for 15 years. While the produce selection was never the greatest, I've rarely seen anything rotten. Their everyday stuff (broccoli, string beans, apples, etc) is always completely fine and the prices are decent. I think the entire produce section really improved about 3-4 yrs ago. I was really happy when they started selling the pre-packaged leafy greens like arugula, baby spinach, spring mix, etc right around then...

Plus they are great for other everyday things (eggs, milk, bread and such) and they carry 'Arnolds' line of multi-grain breads which I really like. Also lots of 2-fers on stuff like OJ, and generally their prices are very good if you have a family on a budget. I find my grocey bill is consistently about 10-20% cheaper than comparable supermarkets in the area like superfresh, shoprite, pathmark, etc.

You guys should try them out again, they're really not that bad.

The only thing I still don't like to buy there is fresh fish.

Shovelled_Up_Dead_Corpses_Rotting_You's picture

jmminarik wrote:The real

jmminarik wrote:

The real question is if there will be the required critical mass for the T-way to continue offering products in this aisle. If the product doesn't move because people won't shop there or won't pay the extra price or go 'I can get this box of orgasmic spaghetti 10 cents cheaper at nature world', the aisle will go right back offering what people are willing to buy from T-way.

I can tell you that it's a lot bigger of a difference than 10 cents. if you are one who purchases organic, natural foods on a consistent basic, it would be very wise of you to continue to do your shopping at whole foods or trader joes or whatever. comparing some of the prices I saw a glaring dollar difference on multiple items, and we're not even talking about the even larger difference if you purchase 365 or trader joes name brand stuff!

still, I"m glad they put all these foods together and will probably buy them when I just want to walk down the street for some impromptu grocery shopping.

NEW KENZO's picture

jmminarik wrote:The real

jmminarik wrote:

The real question is if there will be the required critical mass for the T-way to continue offering products in this aisle. If the product doesn't move because people won't shop there or won't pay the extra price or go 'I can get this box of orgasmic spaghetti 10 cents cheaper at nature world', the aisle will go right back offering what people are willing to buy from T-way.

really? is that the real question?
jmminarik, you're such a debbie downer.

the thriftway has continued to improve and I expect it's going to be the very reason it survives in the area. As for rotten produce, um ya'all need to stop shopping on that discount shelf and, like any store, pick your stuff wisely.

jmminarik's picture

Shovelled_Up_Dead_Corpses_Rot

Shovelled_Up_Dead_Corpses_Rotting_You wrote:

I can tell you that it's a lot bigger of a difference than 10 cents.

Then they're not competitive, won't sell if people here won't pay for the convenience, and we'll be back to not having these products and the lamentations that the store doesn't carry what "we" want. Humans are a funny species. We'll rant and rave about how evil Walmart is...but rant and rave when we don't get the prices we want/expect/can afford. :dontknow:

Ftown66's picture

And all along i thought

And all along i thought fruits. vegetables and meat products sold at all super markets where natural foods. You learn something new on here everyday.

lauraska's picture

Ftown66 wrote:And all along

Ftown66 wrote:

And all along i thought fruits. vegetables and meat products sold at all super markets where natural foods. You learn something new on here everyday.

Oh they are...and have you noticed that the majority of those items are around the perimeter of a grocery store. It's the stuff in the middle (and most of the stuff in the frozen section) that'll kill ya. And unfortunately, that's what people buy the most.

frankdatank's picture

But NewKenzo, I love the

But NewKenzo, I love the rotten fruit that they put out on the bakers rack!!! Who cares what shape it's in...it's only a dollar!! How could you resist?

Also, they always have a bunch of meats marked "manager's special" at nice discounts. If the manager thinks it's special, then it's good enough for my family!

stilljes's picture

After some careful

After some careful consideration, I don't like it. Here's why: Thriftway already carried a wide variety of organic or at least healthier options for pretty much any product that you can think of, placed right next to the non-organic/HFCS/transfat-ladden products. You could compare your Jiffy with the natural peanut butter's prices and labels without trekking across the store.

Well, I'll be slightly perturbed if they move all the healthier products out of the shelves throughout the store, but I don't give the store enough credit... I can't imagine them scanning the labels of cranberry juice and cereals to determine which could work out in the organic isle.

Carol's picture

Just saw the new magical

Just saw the new magical aisle 3 for the first time tonight - wow! I bought several things from there that I might not have otherwise just to try to send Thriftway a signal that people who shop there are interested in those kinds of products. I do agree with stilljes that it would be better if everything were interspersed throughout the store - hopefully that will come eventually. But in the meantime, boy am I glad to be able to buy long grain brown rice!

Someone mentioned natural peanut butter, which I still didn't see at the Thriftway and is kind of my litmus test of a good grocery store. Did I miss it somewhere?

teener's picture

Hey Carol- the natural

Hey Carol- the natural peanut butter is right next to the Jiffy.

I shop @ Thriftway all the time. I prefer buying my fruit and vegs at the asian market on Girard but it ends up being about 50-50. I have never ever purchased any rotten fruit nor has it become rotten on the way home. However I will say the baggers at Thiftway are your worst enemy and I swear sometimes the way the bag is intentionally destructive. Bag for yourself!

I barely want to mention it for fear that it will become too popular and will sell out before I can buy another one- but I highly recommend the raspberry Euro style pie made with shortbread that hangs out over by the bakery desserts and cakes. It is seriously AMAZING.

Carol wrote:

Just saw the new magical aisle 3 for the first time tonight - wow! I bought several things from there that I might not have otherwise just to try to send Thriftway a signal that people who shop there are interested in those kinds of products. I do agree with stilljes that it would be better if everything were interspersed throughout the store - hopefully that will come eventually. But in the meantime, boy am I glad to be able to buy long grain brown rice!

Someone mentioned natural peanut butter, which I still didn't see at the Thriftway and is kind of my litmus test of a good grocery store. Did I miss it somewhere?

Check it out- Pops Playground has a website @ http://www.popsplayground.org

th's picture

It seems my off-hand remark

It seems my off-hand remark about "rotting" produce is getting a lot of attention. Just to clarify:

I have on several occasions gotten green (especially leafy stuff) that has been either bad, or seriously on its way. These items include - cilantro, lettuce, peppers (soft), broccoli-rob, and even a bag of onions (which I could not tell at the time)

I definitely check everything before I buy it, but sometimes I need it for a recipe or something and I am there because it is just up the street. So I pick the best of the bad. My personal rule is just to buy produce I am using the same day.

Trixie's picture

frankdatank wrote:But

frankdatank wrote:

But NewKenzo, I love the rotten fruit that they put out on the bakers rack!!! Who cares what shape it's in...it's only a dollar!! How could you resist?

Also, they always have a bunch of meats marked "manager's special" at nice discounts. If the manager thinks it's special, then it's good enough for my family!

Arrggggghhh. Walk the plank.

Sometimes I buy that stuff on the rack and make soup as long as it's old, not rotten. Sometimes you can get good stuff pretty cheap. Don't knock the old veggie rack!!! haha

Kat's picture

Trixie wrote:frankdatank

Trixie wrote:
frankdatank wrote:

But NewKenzo, I love the rotten fruit that they put out on the bakers rack!!! Who cares what shape it's in...it's only a dollar!! How could you resist?

Also, they always have a bunch of meats marked "manager's special" at nice discounts. If the manager thinks it's special, then it's good enough for my family!

Arrggggghhh. Walk the plank.

Sometimes I buy that stuff on the rack and make soup as long as it's old, not rotten. Sometimes you can get good stuff pretty cheap. Don't knock the old veggie rack!!! haha

I just got 10 bananas of the "old" rack from Superfresh on Saturday that were perfect - just some black on the outside. I peel them then freeze them so I can use them for smoothies. I often buy off the rack like that from Thriftway. Some things I avoid though.

And you are right about the leafy greens like cilantro - I never buy it there since it is always looks like someone ran it over.

michaellouis's picture

More natural foods at all

More natural foods at all supermarkets has been a growing trend everywhere for the last couple of years. Even Wal-Mart has making a heavy movement towards offering more organic food and household products.

workerbee's picture

I can't get past the natural

I can't get past the natural flies in the produce section

Shovelled_Up_Dead_Corpses_Rotting_You's picture

bought my first produce at

bought my first produce at the Thriftway this afternoon. I'm a little nervous with all the horror stories I've been hearing. bought one avocado, one tomato and one bunch of Romaine Lettuce. plan on making some avocado-lettuce-tomato sandwiches when I get home from work tonight. hopefully they won't rot by then!

Ftown66's picture

Everyone is worried about

Everyone is worried about the flies and rotten vegetables at the suppermarkets but no one seems to care that the migrant workers picking those fruits and vegetables that may have contagious diseases and illnesses but are handling our food. Then we have many illegal alliens also working in the processing plants that process these foods. Since many of them have poor medical healthcare on none at all and pretty much live in unsanitary conditions I think this is a big issue.