Beer Sales Down

jmminarik's picture

Even the traditional solace of the working person is taking a hit in this economy.

http://www.comcast.net/articles/finance/20090115/Beer.Sales/

Lisa33's picture

I notice that article just

I notice that article just talked about big companies like Miller and Coors, and said that the Blue Moon brand (which pretends to be a microbrew) actually sold more. I'd be curious as to how the smaller brewing companies are affected, like PBC, Sly Fox, Sierra Nevada, Flying Dog, etc. Maybe people are realizing they can drink beer that actually tastes good.

kdubs215's picture

lisa when did u lose your

lisa when did u lose your taste buds ?? lol I got forced to try four different micros on xmas night and hated all four .

lauraska's picture

Lisa just made me think

Lisa just made me think about Sly Fox's weisse beer....yummmmmmmmmmmmm. And it comes in a can!

jmminarik's picture

Lisa33 wrote:IMaybe people

Lisa33 wrote:

IMaybe people are realizing they can drink beer that actually tastes good.

I'd bet its more people who can afford or are willing to pay $5-6/pint beer are drinking beer now that there's more choices and an oenophile like aura about those beers. I prefer IPAs, but usually wind up drinking Yuenglings or Bud more often than not.

Lisa33's picture

Interesting point, Joe (and

Interesting point, Joe (and thanks for teaching me a new word). For me, I have been spoiled by living in this region with so many wonderful local breweries, and by living so close to the Foodery.

Kdubs, which micros did you try and hate? Also, what beers do you like? I bet I could recommend a micro even you would enjoy. :)

jmminarik's picture

Lisa33 wrote:Interesting

Lisa33 wrote:

Interesting point, Joe (and thanks for teaching me a new word).

Yuengling isn't that new of a word, but for a "mass produced" lager, they're a decent affordable choice. What surprised me, WDW carries it, at least in Epcot, and they sell it a quarter cheaper than bud, which is really bizarre.

stein's picture

jmminarik wrote:Lisa33

jmminarik wrote:
Lisa33 wrote:

Interesting point, Joe (and thanks for teaching me a new word).

Yuengling isn't that new of a word, but for a "mass produced" lager,

serious lulz

Quote:

What surprised me, WDW carries it, at least in Epcot, and they sell it a quarter cheaper than bud, which is really bizarre.

If i am not mistaken, yuengling has a brewery near tampa these days so there is pretty good florida penetration.

i used to drink a lot of yuengling because of its price and availability, then i figured out it gave me the worst next mornings of any beer and now i only drink it in a pinch. not quite sure what it is about it, but i dont even like to be in a room with myself after drinking it!

Lisa33's picture

jmminarik wrote:Lisa33

jmminarik wrote:
Lisa33 wrote:

Interesting point, Joe (and thanks for teaching me a new word).

Yuengling isn't that new of a word, but for a "mass produced" lager, they're a decent affordable choice. What surprised me, WDW carries it, at least in Epcot, and they sell it a quarter cheaper than bud, which is really bizarre.

Haha! I think Yuengling got national distribution a few years back (6 or 7?), while I was still living in NYC. Suddenly all my favorite bars started carrying Yuengling on tap, and it was $1 less than the stand-bys, Brooklyn Lager, Sam Adams, and Sierra IPA. I was thrilled.

Lisa33's picture

stein wrote: i used to drink

stein wrote:

i used to drink a lot of yuengling because of its price and availability, then i figured out it gave me the worst next mornings of any beer and now i only drink it in a pinch. not quite sure what it is about it, but i dont even like to be in a room with myself after drinking it!

Agreed. The only worse morning-after is PBR.

jmminarik's picture

How much are you 2 drinking?

How much are you 2 drinking? :-p

YJB's picture

Ok, I get it. jmminarik

Ok, I get it. jmminarik is a Disney freak?

jmminarik's picture

YJB wrote:Ok, I get it.

YJB wrote:

Ok, I get it. jmminarik is a Disney freak?

Depends on if 'freak' is a term of affection or not.

jmminarik's picture

BTW, the Yuengling Porter

BTW, the Yuengling Porter used to give me a bad hangover if I had more than 3-4. Too many tannins I suspect. Didn't have a problem with their lager.

I'd forgotten hearing about the brewery expansion. Just odd to see a 'small town' brew in the heart of one of the world's biggest tourist traps a thousand miles from 'home'. Somehow I think the woman waiting in line ahead of me didn't really care about the beer or the brewery when she asked me about it. least not the amount of details she learned. :dontknow:

Kat's picture

Lisa33 wrote:stein wrote: i

Lisa33 wrote:
stein wrote:

i used to drink a lot of yuengling because of its price and availability, then i figured out it gave me the worst next mornings of any beer and now i only drink it in a pinch. not quite sure what it is about it, but i dont even like to be in a room with myself after drinking it!

Agreed. The only worse morning-after is PBR.

Actually, the worst is probably Lucky Lager. I think it is a California thing. It was about $6 a case when I was going to art school. It came in 11 ounce bottles with puzzles in the caps. Grossest beer ever but fun memories! Never drank enough of it to be severely hungover, but enough to think..what is in that stuff and why was I drinking it? lol

george's picture

Yuengling has had their

Yuengling has had their Tampa brewery running for a few years and is found everywhere in the state these days.

What made me REALLY happy on the last trip down was that Dogfish Head is starting to show up. Found it in Publix in both Miami and Palm Beach County. Yay!

When I was a kid, the local brew in Miami was "Regal" and supposedly it was horrible beyond compare.

Ftown66's picture

Lisa33 wrote:stein wrote: i

Lisa33 wrote:
stein wrote:

i used to drink a lot of yuengling because of its price and availability, then i figured out it gave me the worst next mornings of any beer and now i only drink it in a pinch. not quite sure what it is about it, but i dont even like to be in a room with myself after drinking it!

Agreed. The only worse morning-after is PBR.

With PBR even the moring before is bad.

Jeffro's picture

You'd never know beer sales

You'd never know beer sales were down by the look of my recycling bins.

dan's picture

jmminarik wrote:YJB

jmminarik wrote:
YJB wrote:

Ok, I get it. jmminarik is a Disney freak?

Depends on if 'freak' is a term of affection or not.

Why?
The answer is "Yes" either way. :)