Casino groups leaders PAID

Bob76's picture

Guess They didnt do it for free as so many people told me when they ripped me for saying they get paid. No apology is necessary,just proving my point is satisfaction enough.

http://www.philly.com/philly/hp/news_update/37255459.html
Part of that work has been fundraising. Tax forms for 2007, released to the Daily News this week, show Casino-Free Philadelphia raised $89,760 that year.

Heiko, fellow founder Daniel Hunter and Karim Olaechea, collected $55,160 of that in pay and expenses, according to Department of State records. The three registered as lobbyists for the group. Hunter refused to say how much of that money was pay and how much was for expenses.

Ftown66's picture

It figures. I don't see

It figures. I don't see anyone being that committed to a cause that they are able devote all that time for free without some benefits.

dan's picture

Three people were paid

Three people were paid $55,000 total and that included reimbursement?
Wow, they're obviously only in it for the money.

When Neil Bluhm, Greg Carlin, and Bob Sheldon are willing to split $55,000 and live on it for a year, I'll start to think this matters. (Hey, they can even have their expenses reimbursed on top of that!)

That said, I can understand your frustration at not being believed (although I was one of those who said it was possible and I would not object if it was true).

Interesting that CFP raised a little under $90,000 in 2007, and SugarHouse recently stated that they had invested over $10,000,000.

Bob76's picture

dan wrote:Three people were

dan wrote:

Three people were paid $55,000 total and that included reimbursement?
Wow, they're obviously only in it for the money.

When Neil Bluhm, Greg Carlin, and Bob Sheldon are willing to split $55,000 and live on it for a year, I'll start to think this matters. (Hey, they can even have their expenses reimbursed on top of that!)

That said, I can understand your frustration at not being believed (although I was one of those who said it was possible and I would not object if it was true).

Interesting that CFP raised a little under $90,000 in 2007, and SugarHouse recently stated that they had invested over $10,000,000.

Dan I am just proving my point that these people were Paid. So Everyone who told me to show them proof now have it. Don't spin this like Bill O'Reilly would. This has nothing to do with anything but the fact that Jethro and company were paid. Much to the disbelief of many who posted I had no proof.
http://fishtown.us/node/8973
A mind is like a parachute. It only works when OPEN.

dan's picture

I'm just repeating what I

I'm just repeating what I said in the thread you linked to:

Quote:

It's not impossible that there are people who get a stipend for their anti-casino work, but I don't know of any.

If there are, please let us know, and how much they get paid. Then, please let us know how much the casino industry pay its lobbyists to lobby Harrisburg and Philadelphia, and how much Foxwoods and HSP pay their lawyers and their public relation firms and their executives and other employees who have been making the pro-casino fight.

Ftown66's picture

$18,000.00 dollars apiece

$18,000.00 dollars apiece for doing something they BELIEVE in isn't chump change. Thats more than what the average Mcdonalds employee makes a year. If you claim to be dedicating your life to something you BELIEVE in and it turns out you where being paid the whole time it cheapings the whole point. Are you doing it for the cause or the money? There will be doubt in peoples minds because of this.

nick-bug's picture

Is Bob76 being paid to post

Is Bob76 being paid to post at Fishtown.us?

dan's picture

Ftown66 wrote:$18,000.00

Ftown66 wrote:

$18,000.00 dollars apiece for doing something they BELIEVE in isn't chump change.

Remember, that included reimbursements.

Quote:

Thats more than what the average Mcdonalds employee makes a year. If you claim to be dedicating your life to something you BELIEVE in and it turns out you where being paid the whole time it cheapings the whole point.
Are you doing it for the cause or the money?

As someone who gets paid to do what he believes in, I have to totally disagree with that. First of all, if money really is an issue, why do most of us who get paid to do what we believe in earn a heck of a lot less money than if we did other jobs?

I know that my salary now - after an additional 3 years of school for seminary and 15 years in the work force - is just about equal to what I was offered in the computer field in 1988 with a Bachelor's degree. (And that's NOT taking inflation into account!) Given my peers' salaries, I estimate I earn about 35-40% of what I would have if I had stayed in the computer field.

However, even if I was earning the same amount as the computer industry would have paid, it would not mean that my motivation and commitment would be any less true than they are now.

Quote:

There will be doubt in peoples minds because of this.

Yes, but 99-94/100% of those are people who are simply on the other side of the issue and trying to discredit the opposition.

snailgem's picture

well, even a broken clock is

well, even a broken clock is right twice a day.

jobber's picture

How many times on this site

How many times on this site did people absolutely go NUTs proclaiming "the leaders of CasinoFree are not paid...they are heroes who do it because they are committed to the cause" I don't care how little they are paid --if they are paid a nickel an hour--taking a salary means you are doing it for the money (and of course the resume building) and they PRETENDED to be just true blue volunteers committed to the cause. It is what they do for a living--they are professional protestors.
Neil Bluhm, Greg Carlin and Bob Sheldon NEVER pretended to be volunteers.

snailgem's picture

jobber wrote:How many times

jobber wrote:

How many times on this site did people absolutely go NUTs proclaiming "the leaders of CasinoFree are not paid...they are heroes who do it because they are committed to the cause" ...

0 times.

Ftown66's picture

snailgem wrote:jobber

snailgem wrote:
jobber wrote:

How many times on this site did people absolutely go NUTs proclaiming "the leaders of CasinoFree are not paid...they are heroes who do it because they are committed to the cause" ...

0 times.

So did you check on this to make sure?

dan's picture

jobber wrote:they PRETENDED

jobber wrote:

they PRETENDED to be just true blue volunteers committed to the cause

Show one single time where they ever claimed they were not being compensated.

And, remember, we still don't know how much they were compensated - without even seeing their books, I can think of thousands of dollars of expenses they would have had to be compensated for.

And, besides, the point isn't about the personalities, it's about the fact that The SugarHouse Anschluss is one big screw-over of the neighborhood simply for the purpose of enriching investors.

Bob76's picture

Thats 2. Lies you say

Thats 2. Lies you say Snailgem. You want some water to wash you words Down
Submitted by snailgem on Wed, 02/27/2008 - 10:50am.

george wrote:
Once and for all, Bob, either expose directly who you accuse of being paid in the CasiNO group or drop this flaccid and ever-deflating argument that seems to lose more credibility every day.

No disrespect at all towards your overall opinion on the slots parlor itself (hope we have that understanding...and I am always willing to agree to disagree) but you've made an accusation that has yet to have even the slightest bit of terra firma beneath it. You either have real evidence of what you've been claiming or you don't. Where is it?

george, you don't get it.
in another thread (http://fishtown.us/node/8774) Bob76 has denounced the anticasino groups and compared their claims to nazi propaganda for practicing a "If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it" tactic.

now Bob76 has adopted the same tactic himself: his posts are meant to keep alive, without any shred of evidence, the LIE that anticasino groups are being paid by shadowy wealthy entities.

Bob76's picture

Well they were asked and

Well they were asked and refused to answer.

This sounds like Jethro's saying he wasn't compensated. No matter how you took it Dan. Jethro did say he was doing it "JUST FOR FUN".

Submitted by dan on Thu, 02/28/2008 - 1:01am.
Not to get into an argument, but just to ferret out the truth some, Jethro has said that he gets paid for his other job, and does CFP "just for fun", which I took as facetiously meaning that he wasn't getting paid for it.

dan's picture

He didn't say he wasn't

He didn't say he wasn't getting paid.
I didn't say he wasn't getting paid.
What he did get paid was a pittance.

But, that's all irrelevant.

What's relevant is that slot parlors are a big false-promise screw-over of our neighborhood and city by greedy people - and no amount of ad hominem smoke screen will change that fact.

snailgem's picture

as i said, even a broken

as i said, even a broken clock is right twice a day.