What's the number one thing you would change about our neighborhood?

dan's picture

You have the power to make one change to better our neighborhoo. What is it?

lauraska's picture

I guess this could be split

I guess this could be split into many sub-reasons, but I'd say the general lack of respect for the neighborhood itself, whether it's through littering, neglected properties, or verbal altercations in the street at all hours of the night.

Jabara Fractus's picture

I would make our neighborhoo

I would make our neighborhoo a neighborhood...
Then I'd rid it of sidewalk parking...

mc's picture

i agree with lauraska. the

i agree with lauraska. the trash/litter and disrespectful people/kids are the worst part.

AM's picture

Rid it of drugs and those

Rid it of drugs and those that deal them.

roma258's picture

I'd like to see it become

I'd like to see it become cleaner and greener :flower:

jmminarik's picture

I'd change the direction of

I'd change the direction of of Cabot Street back the other way. 30+ years of checking one direction for idjit drivers and not the other direction for idjit drivers is a hard habit to over come.

rtsaidred's picture

If I had a magic wand, I'd

If I had a magic wand, I'd wave it over the disrepectful kids I see walking the streets. (Not all kids are disrespectful, but those that are would get the wand.)

I'd also, fine all litterers and those that don't pick up after their dogs. Ew.

Make it illegal to buy oversized white tshirts.

dan's picture

Parenting. We have a lot of

Parenting.

We have a lot of great parents in our neighborhood, but we also have a lot of parents who can't be bothered or who care but have no clue.

cme2niteudig's picture

more trees and better

more trees and better lighting in and out of the neighborhood. Some blocks are way to dark at night time.

rtsaidred's picture

cme2niteudig wrote:more

cme2niteudig wrote:

more trees and better lighting in and out of the neighborhood. Some blocks are way to dark at night time.

Hear, hear!

michaellouis's picture

I wish more people followed

I wish more people followed the law and/or wish someone would enforce the law.

The drugs, litter, vandalism, speeding cars, blowing through stop signs, people parking up to the curb so you have to chance getting run over when getting from one block to the next, speeding cars on residential streets and so on ... could all go away!

rtsaidred's picture

Oh, I forgot another really

Oh, I forgot another really annoying thing that I would get rid of if I could --the four-wheelers and the mortorized skateboard scooter things that fly around the neighborhood.

netable's picture

First thing' anything that

First thing' anything that has anything to do with Drugs'

Guess that includes corner Bars' due to the fact that most drug addiction begins with Drinking'

george's picture

The trash situation and the

The trash situation and the tedious habit of calling ANYONE who hasn't been here 400 years a "yuppie" or a "hipster."

marm's picture

1ST DRUG DEALERS AND USERS

1ST DRUG DEALERS AND USERS
2ND DOG CRAP
3RD LITTERING
4TH BAD ASS KIDS

I KNOW YOU ONLY SAID 1 BUT I JUST COULDN'T REALLY DECIDE WHICH ONE WAS MOST IMPORTANT :D

rtsaidred's picture

george wrote:and the tedious

george wrote:

and the tedious habit of calling ANYONE who hasn't been here 400 years a "yuppie" or a "hipster."

Not all old-timers do this, and generalizing in general gets tedious too. :wink:

george's picture

rtsaidred wrote: Not all

rtsaidred wrote:

Not all old-timers do this, and generalizing in general gets tedious too. :wink:

Agreed---and never said they did.

rtsaidred's picture

george wrote:rtsaidred

george wrote:
rtsaidred wrote:

Not all old-timers do this, and generalizing in general gets tedious too. :wink:

Agreed---and never said they did.

Oh, I know. Was just teasing you.

jmminarik's picture

rtsaidred wrote:george

rtsaidred wrote:
george wrote:
rtsaidred wrote:

Not all old-timers do this, and generalizing in general gets tedious too. :wink:

Agreed---and never said they did.

Oh, I know. Was just teasing you.

Stop teasing the hipstir yuppie newbies. It's not their fault they weren't born in St. Mary's.

rtsaidred's picture

jmminarik wrote:rtsaidred

jmminarik wrote:
rtsaidred wrote:
george wrote:
rtsaidred wrote:

Not all old-timers do this, and generalizing in general gets tedious too. :wink:

Agreed---and never said they did.

Oh, I know. Was just teasing you.

Stop teasing the hipstir yuppie newbies. It's not their fault they weren't born in St. Mary's.

Oh no, am I a yuppie hipster? I was born outside of the hood @ Nazareth hospital. Oh boy.

george's picture

rtsaidred wrote: Oh, I know.

rtsaidred wrote:

Oh, I know. Was just teasing you.

You're allowed to tease me anytime since you ARE "Fabulous."

Non-fabulous people get my full wrath, however... :)

rtsaidred's picture

george wrote:rtsaidred

george wrote:
rtsaidred wrote:

Oh, I know. Was just teasing you.

You're allowed to tease me anytime since you ARE "Fabulous."

I'm following the advice of my sister who says that if you say you are fabulous then other people will begin to think you are fabulous ;-) My self esteem was at an all-time low the day I needed to pick an avatar so I decided to give it a shot. Look, it works; you now think I'm fabulous ;-)

stilljes's picture

I would ask for the police

I would ask for the police officers to pull people over for traffic violations. People drive like there's no laws north of Girard.

Not only does that lack of fear of police when you're behind the wheel seep into the entire mentality of the community, but people who pull off these crazy illegal maneuvers have got to be up to no good.

nick-bug's picture

dan wrote:You have the power

dan wrote:

You have the power to make one change to better our neighborhood. What is it?

If we are looking at the big picture, I'd like to see a major investment in the education system so every neighborhood child has the same and equal opportunities as the kids in Upper Merion.

If we're talking about making changes strictly inside of the neighborhood, I'd like to see (even) more restaurants, galleries, and shopping choices... which improve the quality of life and help create more interaction among people from different backgrounds.

Those two things may sound somewhat different, but they're not so much different in my mind as you might expect. More and more, I really believe in neighborhood revitalization via improving the prospects for those that live in the neighborhood (rather than tearing down, moving the poor someplace else, and having more affluent people in). Which is not quite to say that I believe that Fishtown needs to be "revitalized," as much as I believe there's room for improvement.

george's picture

stilljes wrote:I would ask

stilljes wrote:

I would ask for the police officers to pull people over for traffic violations. People drive like there's no laws north of Girard.

YESSS!!!

The situation at Frankford and Girard (to mention just one) is just amazing---a veritable parade of morons night and day. Someone IS going to get killed there and the "enforcement" of basic rules seems non-existent.

rtsaidred's picture

stilljes wrote:I would ask

stilljes wrote:

I would ask for the police officers to pull people over for traffic violations. People drive like there's no laws north of Girard.

Completely agree with this! Have seen people cruise through stop signs right in front of a police car and the police just looked the other way.

In addition to this, I'd like to see the police actually ticket people who park overnight in front of fire hydrants and in the "no parking boxes" at some intersections.

2014 susquehanna's picture

I'd like to see Front Street

I'd like to see Front Street become a destination shopping/entertainment area and all of empty factory buildings turned into housing for creative people. More than anything I would like to see more clean and green space on all the empty lots in East Kensington. It could be "Fabulous."

Ftown66's picture

2014 susquehanna wrote:I'd

2014 susquehanna wrote:

I'd like to see Front Street become a destination shopping/entertainment area and all of empty factory buildings turned into housing for creative people. More than anything I would like to see more clean and green space on all the empty lots in East Kensington. It could be "Fabulous."

It's already one of the biggest shopping/entertainment areas around. Now if they would turn those abandon warehouses into hotels people wouldn't have to use their cars or the lot across the street.

kdubs215's picture

Ftown66 wrote:2014

Ftown66 wrote:
2014 susquehanna wrote:

I'd like to see Front Street become a destination shopping/entertainment area and all of empty factory buildings turned into housing for creative people. More than anything I would like to see more clean and green space on all the empty lots in East Kensington. It could be "Fabulous."

It's already one of the biggest shopping/entertainment areas around. Now if they would turn those abandon warehouses into hotels people wouldn't have to use their cars or the lot across the street.

Front is a shopping destination but not for anything people on here would want .

KW ------@

2014 susquehanna's picture

kdubs215 wrote:Ftown66

kdubs215 wrote:
Ftown66 wrote:
2014 susquehanna wrote:

I'd like to see Front Street become a destination shopping/entertainment area and all of empty factory buildings turned into housing for creative people. More than anything I would like to see more clean and green space on all the empty lots in East Kensington. It could be "Fabulous."

It's already one of the biggest shopping/entertainment areas around. Now if they would turn those abandon warehouses into hotels people wouldn't have to use their cars or the lot across the street.

Front is a shopping destination but not for anything people on here would want .

Repharse....a better shopping/entertainment area. There are a few good stores. Lucky's Doughnut (good coffee and great owners), Stello's Pizza, The Fine fare and a couple of others are not all that bad. Fine Fare (grocery) has improved 100% and it's getting better all the time.