New Restaurant @ Cedar and Norris???

stillLife's picture

So I was walking my dog last night and noticed 2 big Zoning Notices staked in the ground at the corner of Cedar and Susquehanna (there is that triangle grass patch on the corner there). I read the notices and they stated that someone is trying to erect a 3-story structure, with a 1st floor restaurant with outdoor seating (within the property line). The 2nd and 3rd floors would be apartments. I am guessing they plan to tear down the dump on that corner and buildup something brand new, where the restaurant would be on the 1st floor and the outdoor seating would be where the grass triangle is now.

Anyone know anything about this? The zoning meeting is scheduled for Dec. 2nd at 1515 Arch, which I thought was weird (Why not pick something closer to the neighborhood).

I for one am pretty hyped about this development. I live very close to this and would welcome a cool little spot on that corner. Especially with what is there now (abandoned home and trash strewn lot).

dan's picture

There are two different

There are two different kinds of Zoning Meetings...

The official city meetings are in front of the Zoning Board of Adjustment -
the 1515 Arch Street address.

However, the ZBA takes input from neighborhood associations very seriously -
which is why they often have their own zoning meetings in the neighborhood.

Other interested groups such as NKCDC may also have or co-sponsor zoning meetings to deal with various issues.

Ftown66's picture

I seen this and I think its

I seen this and I think its just for that corner patch since i didn't see a notice on the building next to the lot. This is actually cedar and norris. The forks!

stillLife's picture

Ah right, Cedra and Norris,

Ah right, Cedra and Norris, thanks for the correction. I live right there and that always blows my mind. It's like a black hole of direction.

Hmm, I guess you may be correct since there is no signage on the building - I was asuming it had to be involved because of the description. I figured it had to be in order to build what they described.

joe's picture

I've heard the project

I've heard the project includes demolition of the house on the end of the row. The drawings I've seen (friend of a friend kind of deal) were really slick! I do wish them luck, that intersection could use some sprucing up -- with this project and the former Crazy Fish fixed up, you'd have a really nice cluster of businesses.

biggeo's picture

Ftown66 wrote:I seen this

Ftown66 wrote:
I seen this and I think its just for that corner patch since i didn't see a notice on the building next to the lot. This is actually cedar and norris. The forks![/quote the forks ,its nice to here someone talk local lingo

biggeo's picture

i screwed something up on

i screwed something up on that last post like i said the forks, its nice to here some local lingo

codergrrl's picture

I hope it happens faster

I hope it happens faster than the place at Belgrade and Berks...
Looks like its ready to go, there's just nothing in there.

Larry99's picture

codergrrl wrote:I hope it

codergrrl wrote:

I hope it happens faster than the place at Belgrade and Berks...
Looks like its ready to go, there's just nothing in there.

I could be wrong but I thought they built that property hoping someone would rent the 1st fl space for a business. I don't think they've had any takers yet.

stillLife's picture

Hey Joe - would you mind

Hey Joe - would you mind elaborating a little on what the drawing/plans looked like. I understand if you can't tell all - I'm just really excited about this potential project.

Ftown66's picture

Noticed today that there is

Noticed today that there is now a zoning notice on the building next to the lot. Wasn't there the other day. So i guess it part of the plans for the corner spot.

Fats's picture

A bit unrelated, but this

A bit unrelated, but this just came over from the FNA Zoning folks:

"Wednesday, December 2, 7:30 PM at the Fishtown Rec Center

A proposal for a bistro-style restaurant at 2218 Frankford Avenue. This is a community meeting, and all residents of Fishtown are eligible to vote. Please bring proof of residence in the form of a driver's license or a photo id and a recent piece of mail addressed to your home."

How do you pick which new restaurant to vote on?!

NEW KENZO's picture

Fats wrote:A bit unrelated,

Fats wrote:

A bit unrelated, but this just came over from the FNA Zoning folks:

"Wednesday, December 2, 7:30 PM at the Fishtown Rec Center

A proposal for a bistro-style restaurant at 2218 Frankford Avenue. This is a community meeting, and all residents of Fishtown are eligible to vote. Please bring proof of residence in the form of a driver's license or a photo id and a recent piece of mail addressed to your home."

How do you pick which new restaurant to vote on?!

this is that pickled herring place, or have they changed their mind on name? I hope so. Too bad hot potato is already taken.

joe's picture

stillLife wrote:Hey Joe -

stillLife wrote:

Hey Joe - would you mind elaborating a little on what the drawing/plans looked like. I understand if you can't tell all - I'm just really excited about this potential project.

Well, it's been a while, and who knows if what I saw are still the plans. But from what I remember the design matched the description you posted, including the outdoor seating along the triangle-lot side. As far as what it looked like... I should probably not get into more details. I'm not sure if drawings were meant to be shared or not. I'll have to get back to you if I can dig up an OK from the source.

DNA's picture

StillLife: I think I ran by

StillLife:

I think I ran by you. I saw a guy walking a dog reading the signs. Burr it was cold.

Lighterthief's picture

NEW KENZO wrote: this is

NEW KENZO wrote:

this is that pickled herring place, or have they changed their mind on name? I hope so. Too bad hot potato is already taken.

I am really excited for a new place to open up there and see that stretch of Frankford develop...... I do wonder on the name though it seems like you are shooting yourself in the foot with a name like that I think it is "pickled heron" not that that helps.

Cedar and Norris is a sweet spot too I wonder how many dining establishments we can support out here though.... they better have some recession specials on the menus

stillLife's picture

yeah DNA, that was most

yeah DNA, that was most likely me. I'm standing there quite a bit - the pup loves to pee there.

NEW KENZO's picture

stillLife wrote:yeah DNA,

stillLife wrote:

yeah DNA, that was most likely me. I'm standing there quite a bit - the pup loves to pee there.

Isnt that close to the Starboard? just kiddng ;)

george's picture

I forgot all about 'Pickled

I forgot all about 'Pickled Heron.' Hope they can make a go of it, even though 'Charbroiled Parakeet' was my first choice in names.

NEW KENZO's picture

Lighterthief wrote: I think

Lighterthief wrote:

I think it is "pickled heron" not that that helps.

and apparently there's already a fledging gallery of that name:

dan's picture

Pickled Heroin? Is this an

Pickled Heroin?

Is this an Amy Winehouse joke?

brooke's picture

stillLife wrote:yeah DNA,

stillLife wrote:

yeah DNA, that was most likely me. I'm standing there quite a bit - the pup loves to pee there.

We've probably bumped into each other then--that lot, being full of poop people don't pick up and trash kids throw into it and the occasional dead cat in a bag (yeah, two in the past year), it's a dog magnet. That and the weeds the absentee landlord at Berks and Memphis lets grow into a jungle. I totally have to drag the dogs away from both thinking they'll find something in it that will make them sick!

I heard the rumor as well about the cafe with the sideyard from a guy walking a dog there. Would be nice if something was done there. There's a zoning notice next to it on Hewson too that looks like something might be done with that. Now, if we can get the abandoned houses at the other end of that Hewson block dealt with that whole area could be much better.

Licensed PA Real Estate Saleperson and PA attorney, Fishtown Resident
Moderator of Fishtown/Northern Liberties/Kensington forum on Phillyblog.com