Ed Snider Steps in To Save Hockey Rinks

codergrrl's picture

As much as I don't like his politics, I have to give him props for wanting to help out.
I couldn't post a link, because I read it in the Metro this morning, and couldn't find anything else about it when I Googled it.
(Yeah, I know its self serving, as he is trying to grow future ticket buyers, but still...)

neilpuck's picture

Trust me, Ed Snider doesn't

Trust me, Ed Snider doesn't need to do anything to sell tickets now or ever. The Flyers have had a longstanding relationship with the city and has hosted many grassroots programs over the years. He is a truly unique (former) team owner. Building the team and two arenas with his own money. That's right, the current Wachovia Center was built with ZERO public money. He may have made a poor decision, in my mind, to have Sarah Palin drop the puck this year, but there are few owners in all of sports who can measure up to him.

kdubs215's picture

Ed snider is the bst sports

Ed snider is the bst sports owner the city of Philadelphia has ever had . He is always there for the community . What he does has nothing to do with ticket sales . Flyers tickets sell themselves . He would be pushing Sixer tickets if anything ......

snailgem's picture

it would be nice if ed

it would be nice if ed snider also built us a soccer stadium.

Crustyzombiepunk's picture

kdubs215 wrote:Ed snider is

kdubs215 wrote:

Ed snider is the bst sports owner the city of Philadelphia has ever had .

I beg to differ. he and all the other owners of all the other NHL teams, their greed has brought hockey to the sad state it is currently in. them and their little puppet Gary Betteman.

george's picture

I think hockey does have

I think hockey does have some very legitimate worries about the future of its fan base, even with many franchises doing well selling tickets.

Just look at their sorry TV ratings nationally. Quite literally, nobody is watching. The last Stanley Cup Finals drew a smaller average rating than the World Scrabble Championship on ESPN. I'm not making that up.

I love the sport and don't disagree Snider has done a good job with the Flyers, but the league itself is in real danger of losing its status as one of the 'big four' sports---if it hasn't already.

kdubs215's picture

Thers is no question in who

Thers is no question in who the best owner the city has ever had ! Anyone who knows snot about sports will agree . NO owner has ever cared more about the city either . do you want bramen , katz or toes back ????

Crustyzombiepunk wrote:
kdubs215 wrote:

Ed snider is the bst sports owner the city of Philadelphia has ever had .

I beg to differ. he and all the other owners of all the other NHL teams, their greed has brought hockey to the sad state it is currently in. them and their little puppet Gary Betteman.

KW ------@

Crustyzombiepunk's picture

kdubs215 wrote:Thers is no

kdubs215 wrote:

Thers is no question in who the best owner the city has ever had ! Anyone who knows snot about sports will agree . NO owner has ever cared more about the city either . do you want bramen , katz or toes back ????

riiiiiiiight. keep on drinking that purple kool-aid, buddy.

I suppose you think Peter Lukko is a god amoung men as well.

kdubs215's picture

How many stanley cup finals

How many stanley cup finals did we apprear in since 1967 ? Seven
Seven finals
2 Titles
14 conference finals appearances
32 playoffs appearances
Ok show me a owner with that record ??? i guess your a dem and hate him for bringing palin in ?? LOL

peter lukko has nothing to do with ed snider not does he mean anything to flyer fans .....

Crustyzombiepunk wrote:
kdubs215 wrote:

Thers is no question in who the best owner the city has ever had ! Anyone who knows snot about sports will agree . NO owner has ever cared more about the city either . do you want bramen , katz or toes back ????

riiiiiiiight. keep on drinking that purple kool-aid, buddy.

I suppose you think Peter Lukko is a god amoung men as well.

KW ------@

Crustyzombiepunk's picture

kdubs215 wrote: peter lukko

kdubs215 wrote:

peter lukko has nothing to do with ed snider not does he mean anything to flyer fans .....

I assume you meant "nor does he mean anything to Flyers fans" regarding Peter Lukko and all I can say to that is oh....my......GOD!

you must be a Rangers fan.

kdubs215's picture

Please back up your message

Please back up your message with a fact or two ??? Instead of trying to shoot my grammer or spelling down . Its hard to type as fast as i do when medicated .. Ed aint perfect but he is by far the best owner PHILLY HAS EVER SEEN

Crustyzombiepunk wrote:
kdubs215 wrote:

peter lukko has nothing to do with ed snider not does he mean anything to flyer fans .....

I assume you meant "nor does he mean anything to Flyers fans" regarding Peter Lukko and all I can say to that is oh....my......GOD!

you must be a Rangers fan.

KW ------@

Crustyzombiepunk's picture

kdubs215 wrote:Please back

kdubs215 wrote:

Please back up your message with a fact or two ??? Instead of trying to shoot my grammer or spelling down . Its hard to type as fast as i do when medicated .. Ed aint perfect but he is by far the best owner PHILLY HAS EVER SEEN

I honestly wasn't trying to be an a$$hole with the spelling correction, just making sure that I was reading into what you were saying correctly.

anyway, Peter Lukko owns Comcast-Spectacor who owns the Flyers. he, essentially, IS the owner of the Flyers, Ed is the chairman. so how can you say that Peter Lukko means nothing to Flyers fans when he OWNS the team? it would be beyond naive to assume that Lukko has nothing to do with Flyers personnel moves. Glenn MacNow called him "the most powerful man in Philadelphia sports that nobody knows."

as for Ed, it's mostly a personal opinion that might be best to agree to disagree on, otherwise we could be here all night. I just haven't liked how he has handled certain things within the league (not just him, mind you. ALL the owners of ALL the teams in this league have killed the league, repeatedly). I didn't like his "shootouts are great" quote cuz shootouts SUCK and I especially didn't like it when he said "we don't know what rebuilding is". oh really, Ed? I could go on.

kdubs215's picture

I know he is the OWNER - But

I know he is the OWNER - But ed is the man behind the flyers and sixers . Of course there is stuff we all dont like about certain moves No1 IS PERFECT .. WHen he let his son run the team i wanted to punch the both of them . Lukko is just a suit to most fans ... maybe with the money they make they can lower my damnd bill ??? I see lukko as comcast and i see ed as the flyers just my outlook ... you got it wrong we SUCK at shootouts .. lol
i agree there shootouts are a waste

Crustyzombiepunk wrote:
kdubs215 wrote:

Please back up your message with a fact or two ??? Instead of trying to shoot my grammer or spelling down . Its hard to type as fast as i do when medicated .. Ed aint perfect but he is by far the best owner PHILLY HAS EVER SEEN

I honestly wasn't trying to be an a$$hole with the spelling correction, just making sure that I was reading into what you were saying correctly.

anyway, Peter Lukko owns Comcast-Spectacor who owns the Flyers. he, essentially, IS the owner of the Flyers, Ed is the chairman. so how can you say that Peter Lukko means nothing to Flyers fans when he OWNS the team? it would be beyond naive to assume that Lukko has nothing to do with Flyers personnel moves. Glenn MacNow called him "the most powerful man in Philadelphia sports that nobody knows."

as for Ed, it's mostly a personal opinion that might be best to agree to disagree on, otherwise we could be here all night. I just haven't liked how he has handled certain things within the league (not just him, mind you. ALL the owners of ALL the teams in this league have killed the league, repeatedly). I didn't like his "shootouts are great" quote cuz shootouts SUCK and I especially didn't like it when he said "we don't know what rebuilding is". oh really, Ed? I could go on.

KW ------@

Crustyzombiepunk's picture

even if the Flyers were

even if the Flyers were undefeated in shootouts, I'd still hate them. they're are one of the major reasons why this league has turned into such BS. how can you decide a game by a fricking skills competition. what's next, deciding baseball extra innings via a home run derby? deciding basketball games via a slam dunk contest or 3 point contest? maybe in football the quarterback has to throw the ball through a hoop. and the biggest slap in the face is that they don't use the shootouts in the playoffs, so why use them at all?!?!?!

thank you competition committee. oh, and guess who is the owner of that?

george's picture

Hockey has plenty of

Hockey has plenty of problems---the shootout nonsense being one of them. "Crusty" encapsulated exactly why. I wouldn't decide High School games on such a flimsy premise.

What about expansion? To me, there's too many teams in too many places that couldn't care less. That's not a good dynamic.

I've seen it from that side, too. I was at a TON of Florida Panthers games back when they were pretty good (Bobby Clarke was the GM) and---briefly---the team had sellout crowds and even made the Finals one year. Still, it was nothing more than a momentary thrill...an aside from football which is the ONLY game that really matters in places like that.

There's probably seven or eight too many teams in the NHL. And too many that they stupidly let abandon Canada (like the Winnipeg Jets and the Nordiques) that would matter more if they had stayed.

Then again, the REAL hardcore would consider teams like the Blues, Kings, and--yes--the Flyers expansion interlopers, too. Gordie Howe didn't play too many meaningful games against any of them. Those folks view the Flyers winning it all in their infancy the same way you saw the Florida Marlins doing the same...even if that's probably blasphemy (although true).

Anyway---Hockey needs to get it together. It's a great sport watched by too few.

dan's picture

Pro Bowling is more popular

Pro Bowling is more popular than Pro Hockey in the US.

sigh.

codergrrl's picture

I know hockey is religion in

I know hockey is religion in Canada, but most US cities, (unlike Philly, which has a solid fan base) aren't interested...they have a team named for a Disney movie for crying out loud...
Also, I think its an expensive sport to get your kids involved in, therefore, limiting the appeal to most city kids.
But then again, we don't like soccer like we should, and all that takes is one ball...(speaking of which, did you see the Sun headline, about Hitler?, hysterical!, but I digress).
Hockey is too fast for me to pay attention to, but I did like that one game I saw when the puck was followed by a blue streak, so I knew where it was.

AM's picture

Talk about living in my own

Talk about living in my own little zone - I thought everyone loved hockey like I do - go figure.

Crustyzombiepunk's picture

codergrrl wrote:I know

codergrrl wrote:

I know hockey is religion in Canada, but most US cities, (unlike Philly, which has a solid fan base) aren't interested...they have a team named for a Disney movie for crying out loud...
Also, I think its an expensive sport to get your kids involved in, therefore, limiting the appeal to most city kids.
But then again, we don't like soccer like we should, and all that takes is one ball...(speaking of which, did you see the Sun headline, about Hitler?, hysterical!, but I digress).
Hockey is too fast for me to pay attention to, but I did like that one game I saw when the puck was followed by a blue streak, so I knew where it was.

well the Walt Disney Company founded the Anaheim Mighty Ducks (tne NHL club) right around the time that the movie was made. they were then sold in 2005 and the name was promptly changed to just the "Ducks".

I used to play street hockey as a kid all the time. hockey sticks don't cost me, otherwise all you need is a ball. let the rich kid be goalie :D

I did notice that there is a little street/roller rink at the park on Aramingo and Lehigh. seen a few kids play there every once in a while.

and please say it in so about the FoxTrax puck (the blue puck)! I hated that thing! thank god it only lasted 2 years. I never understood the common complaint that it is hard to follow the puck. then again, I've been following the sport for 30+ years.