School 'uniform shocker

DaniM's picture

I enrolled my munchkin in First Philadelphia Charter for Literacy....
I just got her uniform list and realized that JUST TO DRESS HER is going to cost us more than a buck!
Monogrammed gym shorts, sweats, t shirts sweat shirts, summer shirts, winter shirts...
then the other things
winter shoes, summer shoes, plaid jumper, peter pan collared shirts...
Most of this stuff is required to be bought from Flynn and OHara... nothing cheaper than 15 WITHOUT the monnogram..
Anyone have any tips on how to save a buck with this? Her Catholic school uniform didnt cost this much!!!!

simmer's picture

Home school her. She can

Home school her. She can wear whatever she wants then. haha!!

maryt621's picture

Buy large sizes!! And wash

Buy large sizes!! And wash infrequently. Let the hems out as she grows and as a bonus you even save money on detergent!

That is a ridiculous amount of money--thank goodness I don't have kids!

Kat's picture

DaniM wrote:I enrolled my

DaniM wrote:

I enrolled my munchkin in First Philadelphia Charter for Literacy....
I just got her uniform list and realized that JUST TO DRESS HER is going to cost us more than a buck!
Monogrammed gym shorts, sweats, t shirts sweat shirts, summer shirts, winter shirts...
then the other things
winter shoes, summer shoes, plaid jumper, peter pan collared shirts...
Most of this stuff is required to be bought from Flynn and OHara... nothing cheaper than 15 WITHOUT the monnogram..
Anyone have any tips on how to save a buck with this? Her Catholic school uniform didnt cost this much!!!!

__________________________

Welcome to my world! We have two in Catholic School and it costs alot every year. You may want to contact your school - I know where my 9 year old goes has an area by the gym where people hang old uniforms that their kids don't fit into any more - there are usually sweaters, jumpers, pants, etc. All in good condition. I am not certain if a fee is chanrged, but maybe your school has something like it. Good luck. We go shoppping next week...Nunzio get out the credit card!

netable's picture

Welcome to my World!

Welcome to my World! =)

Seriously though, Go to forman mills, I hate that store, but they have all the "Uniform needs" buy 1 sweater and shirt from Flynn O'Hara and then take it to a tailor who monograms cheap, thats what I always Did...............

The 1st year is always the toughest, then eventually you start recycling her uniforms that she grows out of and the class higher then her usually does the same =)

YJB's picture

In the long run, wouldn't

In the long run, wouldn't this investment in her uniform cost far less than what a rotating wardrobe of "school clothes" would cost?

Kat's picture

YJB wrote:In the long run,

YJB wrote:

In the long run, wouldn't this investment in her uniform cost far less than what a rotating wardrobe of "school clothes" would cost?

Yes, you are right. I would dread going through the fashion nightmare every morning with my girls. I could not deal with that!

AM's picture

Kat wrote:YJB wrote:In the

Kat wrote:
YJB wrote:

In the long run, wouldn't this investment in her uniform cost far less than what a rotating wardrobe of "school clothes" would cost?

Yes, you are right. I would dread going through the fashion nightmare every morning with my girls. I could not deal with that!

Amen to that Kat!

tudor's picture

Kat wrote:YJB wrote:In the

Kat wrote:
YJB wrote:

In the long run, wouldn't this investment in her uniform cost far less than what a rotating wardrobe of "school clothes" would cost?

Yes, you are right. I would dread going through the fashion nightmare every morning with my girls. I could not deal with that!

I think this only works up to a point. I remember when I was in high school, I couldn't wait to get home and change into something that cost way too much for the number of hours I got to wear it. Younger kids probably don't get into that right away though.

You can get much farther with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone.--Al Capone

susan's picture

Forman Mills usually sells

Forman Mills usually sells peter pan shirts 2 for $10. My daughter EATS white shirts. I usually buy alot of shirts at Forman Mills- long and short sleeves.

I get khacki's at Kmart or Target(on sale) They are always cheaper than Flynn and O'Hara. I only purchase the jumpers at the premium price.

Zappos.com has good quality shoes.

Socks/ tights FM or Target.

I heard a sporting goods store @ 9th and Christian does monogramming- but I haven't tried them yet. And really are the monograms mandatory? Pleading ignorance has its moments. This may be one of them.

DaniM's picture

simmer wrote:Home school

simmer wrote:

Home school her. She can wear whatever she wants then. haha!!

Id kill myself. I love my daughter more than anything in the world only equal to my other daughter... but all day with her trying to TEACH her school lessons as well as life lessons AND run a home based business AND handle a new born... ill be tracking down delinquents in the neighborhood and BEGGING to get stabbed!
Her school HAD a used uniform sale... and i missed it, like usual. They say we HAVE to get the monogrammed shirts at flynn and ohara.... i dont understand why, but after dealing with our lady who helps little and annoys much school im afraid to go against the grain and have my kid punished. Thanks for the heads up everyone, Forman mills and Target/Kmart are looking tempting for the stuff i have the free will to buy.

The only reason this is a burden is because she already HAS a summer wardrobe. more skorts and hannah montana shirts than any five yr old should own, and now i have to buy a SECOND wardrobe on top of that one!

Ftown66's picture

maryt621 wrote:Buy large

maryt621 wrote:

Buy large sizes!! And wash infrequently. Let the hems out as she grows and as a bonus you even save money on detergent!

That is a ridiculous amount of money--thank goodness I don't have kids!

Thats ok if you don't mind your child being teased for being dirty and smelly.

Lisa33's picture

I remember this from when I

I remember this from when I was a kid in Catholic School. And of course, since we all had to wear the same uniform, the race for the best shoes, handbags, and earrings was ON. Good luck Dani.

lauraska's picture

Dani, this school is a

Dani, this school is a charter school right? There is no way she'd get punished for something you did, as she would in a Catholic school. Please understand, I'm NOT DISSING ON THE CATHOLIC CHURCH...I'm just saying that it is unlikely that a school affiliated with a public school system would do something like that. I understand your fear, though, if that's been your experience in the past.

MichelleLynn's picture

lauraska wrote:Dani, this

lauraska wrote:

Dani, this school is a charter school right? There is no way she'd get punished for something you did, as she would in a Catholic school. Please understand, I'm NOT DISSING ON THE CATHOLIC CHURCH...I'm just saying that it is unlikely that a school affiliated with a public school system would do something like that. I understand your fear, though, if that's been your experience in the past.

Try fighting for services for your special needs child in the Public School System and sit and see the backlash :)

I am lucky, our Charter School has been great, but the Public School System can hold a grudge against parents trying to do the right thing for their kids, juts like any other place. It all comes down to the people and the place.. :)

On a positive note, the uniforms maybe be pricey, but you can't beat the Charter School Tuition!

Also, sometimes I see Flynn and O'Hara Blue tops at the Thrift Store in the mall, you could get them mongrammed seperate if you can find them, also Craigs list in free stuff or stuff for sale..Also, if your kids do not grow out of them the Flynn and O'Hara Stuff si really well made and lasts the entire year! I try to buy them when I can because in the long run I find O have to supplement less during the year..
Good Luck!

lauraska's picture

MichelleLynn wrote: Try

MichelleLynn wrote:

Try fighting for services for your special needs child in the Public School System and sit and see the backlash :)

I'm not disagreeing with you, but I think it was Dani who posted to a separate thread a few months ago regarding her child being punished in front of other children because his/her tuition had not been paid on time. Or something like that. I was just trying to say that I doubted a public school would humiliate a child in such a way, simply for wearing a pair of pants or a shirt bought from a store other than the one listed on their uniform info sheet.

nhb's picture

susan wrote:Forman Mills

susan wrote:

Forman Mills usually sells peter pan shirts 2 for $10. My daughter EATS white shirts. I usually buy alot of shirts at Forman Mills- long and short sleeves.

I get khacki's at Kmart or Target(on sale) They are always cheaper than Flynn and O'Hara. I only purchase the jumpers at the premium price.

Zappos.com has good quality shoes.

Socks/ tights FM or Target.

I heard a sporting goods store @ 9th and Christian does monogramming- but I haven't tried them yet. And really are the monograms mandatory? Pleading ignorance has its moments. This may be one of them.

Yes the sporting goods store @ 9th & Christian is a great place. And you are right about Forman mills, you can also get khaki's inexpensively at the JC Penney's outlet.

MichelleLynn's picture

lauraska wrote: I'm not

lauraska wrote:

I'm not disagreeing with you, but I think it was Dani who posted to a separate thread a few months ago regarding her child being punished in front of other children because his/her tuition had not been paid on time. Or something like that. I was just trying to say that I doubted a public school would humiliate a child in such a way, simply for wearing a pair of pants or a shirt bought from a store other than the one listed on their uniform info sheet.

Oops, thought you meant something else, Sorry :)

DaniM's picture

Ya lauraska, that was me.

Ya lauraska, that was me. You see that little bugger in my picture, it was her those money hungry bastards punished for my mistakes, and i still see red over it.
This charter school has my husbands aunt as the VP and ive talked to everyone important and it seems fantastic.
Thank you all for the uniform advice.

Ftown66's picture

Lisa33 wrote:I remember this

Lisa33 wrote:

I remember this from when I was a kid in Catholic School. And of course, since we all had to wear the same uniform, the race for the best shoes, handbags, and earrings was ON. Good luck Dani.

I just wore hush puppies with my holy name uniform. Was never much of a handbag and earing type of guy. Though I had to have the hush puppies since they were the COOL style of the time.

netable's picture

Just a little info on School

Just a little info on School Clothes ......My Johnny leaves for College 8/23 and he must wear Blazer, Tie, everyday, so because I'm kinda broke right now, and most of my Cards are almost at their limit, I had a debt free JC Penny charge, It was the Best thing Ever, I purchased 9 tie's, 8 pairs of pants, 14 shirts and 1 blazer for $550.00!!!!!! It was awesome, I am so glad I went there!!! I really never shop in JC Penny's and was so surprised and HAPPY how inexpensive things were, and all the shirts and pants are wrinkle free, the Tie's are Clip ons, and the Blazer is wrinkle free too.

If you need khaki's they have dockers' and St John's Bay on sale for 19.99 and I also had a 20% coupon that you can print from the internet.........